Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Idle Process

• Please log in to reply

slimcee

slimcee

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello gtg,
I have a couple of issues and hope you may help or refer me. Recently my compy has been ill with various nasties of sorts, thx to your help (and my new found patience) i have almost got the system back on track. I am currently running scans of your recommended programmes for what i hope is the last time. A couple of the scans have come thru clean, fingers crossed.

However, whilst i am running this lot of scans my cpu has rocketed, the reason is the system idle process is maxing out my cpu (for an idle process it apparently does plenty). This is causing delays in opening requested programmes.

q1, should i worry about this?
q2, does this process need to run at all and what does it actually do?
q3, is there a safe way to end the process should you answer no to the last q?
q4, if i can and do end this process will the system still lag?

The next query i have is about spybot. It has detected on several occasions the following problems-

Kazaa.Irc.DarkIrc11.LiteStalky: Autorun settings (Registry value, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\WindowsUpdate

Log: Shutdown: System32\wbem\logs\wbemess.log (Backup file, nothing done)
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\logs\wbemess.log

Log: Activity: SchedLgU.Txt (Backup file, nothing done)
C:\WINDOWS\SchedLgU.Txt

--- Spybot - Search && Destroy version: 1.3 ---
2005-04-26 Includes\Cookies.sbi
2005-04-27 Includes\Dialer.sbi
2005-05-12 Includes\Hijackers.sbi
2005-04-15 Includes\Keyloggers.sbi
2004-11-29 Includes\LSP.sbi
2005-05-11 Includes\Malware.sbi
2005-05-11 Includes\PUPS.sbi
2005-04-27 Includes\Revision.sbi
2005-02-09 Includes\Security.sbi
2005-05-11 Includes\Spybots.sbi
2005-02-17 Includes\Tracks.uti
2005-05-11 Includes\Trojans.sbi

I have googled LiteStalky and spybot comes out the clear leader in recommendations as the prog to delete this, so why cant I? it is highlighted in red on the problems found screen in spybot and should have, along with the others, been deleted 4 times now but alas they seem quite comfortable in compy. How can i rid my dear compy of these issues?

To rid my compy of the nasties I have used the following progs-

Ad-Aware SE Personal
Avast Antivirus
BugOff
CCleaner (This is gr8 by the way)
Cleanup
CWShredder
Ewido Security Suite (I have come to love this ;) )
greyknight17 Desktop Repair
Hjt (I have studied logs from this but have yet to submit one anywhere, would you recommend i let you have one?)
McAfee Stand Alone
RegScrub
Spybot Search&Destroy

(WOW on paper thats a lot of progs but what a killer cocktail)
All of these programmes are the updated\new versions.

Your help in this matter is both appreciated and valued and would like to congratulate you and your colleagues for providing what i would say is an invaluable service, yes the world is going mad but good decent people like yourselves make it so much more bearable :tazz: .

Slimcee
27 m uk

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi slimcee, welcome to Geeks to Go. On behalf of the staff here, I thank you for the kind words. There are indeed some wonderful people here tying to help. We have some outstanding malware experts available over in the malware forum. First though, you need to work through the malware removal guide. There is a link to this at the top of this forum where it says "Do you suspect a malware (Spyware, Virus, Trojan) infection? Please start here. " So if you have not done that yet, try it and see if that fixes it. This guide enables folks to solve most problems on their own. If you have already completed the guide, or once you do and you still have trouble, post a fresh hijack this log in the malware forum at
http://www.geekstogo...o_Here-f37.html
:tazz:

slimcee

slimcee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Austin :tazz: ,
i followed the procedure so many times before posting the initial message i reckon i could recite it, and trust me it has worked a treat apart from these last few hangers on.
i shall post the hjt log and hope that i can once and for all rid my compy clean of these explitive deletives.
cheers for your prompt reply and carry on the good work.

slimcee ;)

nestorey

nestorey

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
system idle process isn't really a process at all. it's just an indicator of how much of your cpu is idle at the moment. so if you look under the processes tab and click on the cpu tab and it lists the SIP as 99 then really it's just telling you that your cpu isn't doing anything. look under the PERFORMANCE tab and see what your CPU Usage % is. If it's at a hundred then it's not your SIP that's causing it being that your CPU is actually being used and not idle. if that is the case that your CPU Usage monitor is maxed out then go back to the processes tab. whatever process that is listed on the top of the CPU tab is the culprit (of course you have to click the CPU tab until it shows the highest number on top). if t's the SIP and your CPU Usage monitor on the performance tab is maxed or near it then you've got some serious issues.

Edited by nestorey, 03 June 2005 - 04:09 PM.

nucdaggett

nucdaggett

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Slimcee.

I do not know if this will help you, but i had a program installed (C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe). It would not allow anything on my computer to run, as it was using the max cpu under windows task manager, process tab.

What i did to remove it was turned on my computer, press F8 (before windows started) and at the dos prompt typed the following:

cd c:\program files\microsoft antispyware

then i typed:

del gcasdtserv.exe (then pressed enter to delete it)

then restarted my computer, let it start windows. Then uninstalled Microsoft Antispyware, and deleted the folder that held the program.

When i pressed Ctrl+Alt+Delete my cpu useage was only at about 3 not 100 like it was before (C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe)

I hope it helps, if it does please e-mail me.

[email protected] :tazz:

And thanks to GTG for a great and useful site!!! ;)

Edited by nucdaggett, 03 June 2005 - 07:43 PM.