Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to Share Folders without Windows Server?

• Please log in to reply

uaewebmaster

uaewebmaster

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

I am looking for a windows server alternative, which can connect multiple PCs on the same LAN, and can provide USER access , Folder Sharing, same like windows server.

All computers are Windows 7 32bit.

If someone can guide me i would be more than thankful.

Thank you.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
If you are all on the same LAN (behind the same router) it should be simple to just right click on the folder and select Share with your homegroup. This will be much easier with all computers using Windows 7. See Home sweet homegroup - Networking the easy way in Windows 7.

uaewebmaster

uaewebmaster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you Digerati,

The problem is we have teams, they want user level security on their folders, not to allow other teams to view their documents, and I tried homegroup sharing but unfortunately only few computers (which don't have norton security installed) can connect.

If there is a way to share folders with user privilages , and users can edit files directly on other's machines without downloading that would be great, since my users are basic in computing.

I hope if there is an answer for this, thanks.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Not that I know of without getting into server type control with network access. You can do it by user, but then each user that needs access would need a user account on each computer and that gets to be a nightmare. I guess you could use passwords and only give those out as needed but again, administrating that would be a hassle.

uaewebmaster

uaewebmaster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I agree , thanks again, I appreciate your quick response, this is my 1st time in geeks to go , but i sure say its an amazing site. :thumbsup:

Thanks you very much :)

Have a nice day.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
You can download a 'trial' version of Network Magic Pro .... http://network-magic.en.softonic.com/
It works for me :thumbsup:

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

You can download a 'trial' version of Network Magic Pro .... http://network-magic.en.softonic.com/

I note the download page says,

•After 7 days, if you choose not to purchase Network Magic Pro or Essentials, you will no longer be able to use any of the features or functionality unless you have Linksys hardware in your network, which entitles you to Network Magic Basic.

uaewebmaster

uaewebmaster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanks alot Jacee, it really worked, now my users can share folders.. thank you all for your help. :thumbsup:

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I am glad that worked for you. Thanks for the followup.