Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer constantly freezing [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi methinks that the problem may be related to Constant Guard Protection Suite. Cheers Macboatmaster :thumbsup:

Could you uninstall the programme and reboot, then see if the problems persist

To uninstall Constant Guard™ Protection Suite software follow these steps:

Click on Start (Windows XP) or the Windows flag (Windows Vista/7) in the lower left corner of the computer screen.
Click on Control Panel.
Click Add or Remove Software (XP), or Programs and Features (Vista/Windows 7).
In the Programs list, find the Constant Guard Protection Suite software, highlight it and click to Uninstall.
If you plan to re-install your Constant Guard Protection Suite, select Yes when you see the screen that says "Save secure password file?" If you don't plan to re-install your Constant Guard Protection Suite, click No.
An optional Uninstall Survey will open.
Restart your computer - shutting down and restarting the computer finishes the removal process.

Advertisements

wynnyelle

wynnyelle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I will do this, however, I had this installed AFTER the problem began, in an attempt to stop it. I didn't even have it installed when the problem started.

All right I have uninstalled it.

Edited by wynnyelle, 16 December 2011 - 01:36 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK and we are still getting the freezes ?

You may have done the following before, but I would like you to redo them please

Go Start > All Programs > Accessories
Right click Command Prompt and select run as Administrator
In the black box that opens type in the following :

sfc /scannow (there is a space between sfc and the /)

Once that has completed

1.Open Computer by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Computer.

2.Right-click the hard disk drive that you want to check (C), and then click Properties.

3.Click the Tools tab, and then, under Error-checking, click Check Now. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

To check for both file errors and physical errors, select both Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

4.Click Start.

5.You will be prompted to reschedule the disk check for the next time you restart your computer, select OK .

6.Reboot to allow the disc check to commence

wynnyelle

wynnyelle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
During the last test, after I restarted the computer, the test took about 4 or 5 hours and got to 91% before it froze.

It had found no infections but this thing still isn't working.

What now?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK lets now try a clean boot. This is where everything is disabled at start up bar the necessary microsoft services

Follow the instructions on this page and then reboot. If the freezing does not re-occur then let me know and we will troubleshoot further. If the freezes continue then we are looking at a possible hardware/OS problem

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.