Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless LAN range. G, N etc HOW DOES IT WORK?

• Please log in to reply

daffy_elmo

daffy_elmo

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Excuse what is probably a stupid question,

We have only wireless G adapters in all the comps in our house.
Our house is quite big so at then outskirts the signal is weak (when using wireless G router).

I then upgraded from a wireless G router to a wireless G + eXtended range (TP-Link).
This made the connection slightly better.

Just recently I upgraded to a wireless N router.

This has made the connection way way better. (now I am getting 70% connection strength as opposed to 30%).

BUT: How is this possible??? If all my devices are wireless G, then isn't it just as hard for my wireless N router to 'hear' my devices?
And isn't a connection only as strong as it's weakest link?

Shouldn't I still have the same overall unreliable connection with the N router as with the G considering that the reliability of the connection relies on both my devices being able to 'hear' the router AND the router being able to 'hear' - the much weaker - clients?

Slightly confused.
Maybe someone can illuminate the situation.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A wireless N router has a better range. It's also backwards compatible with wireless G devices.
Your original problem was caused because your router didn't have enough strength wireless wise to transmit a signal as far away as you needed it to.
Therefore because the transmitting range is better, the older devices can talk to it.
The key point is the wireless transmitter is the weakest link in the chain because if it isn't powerful enough, nothing else can talk to it.

daffy_elmo

daffy_elmo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Thanks,
This totally makes sense. :)