Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer won't stop freezing up

• Please log in to reply

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Ok please defrag your computer.
http://download.cnet...b544dac21f1473f
After you install it select defrag and optimize. (slower use once a week) Just decline any other software that comes with this program,install the defrag only. Also are there any freezes to speak of now??

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
You can disable this entry as well via Ccleaner.
Yes HKLM:Run dellsupportcenter "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe" /P dellsupportcenter

Download autoruns from the link below unzip it to your desktop run it and delete every entry that reads file not found.
http://download.sysi...es/Autoruns.zip

wynnyelle

wynnyelle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Thanks again! i have done the defrag, but it now tells me this:

344 junk files and 18 registry errors on my computer. Should I download what it tells me to to fix these?

I have not had another freeze yet since a couple of hours ago.

Edited by wynnyelle, 11 December 2011 - 10:18 PM.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
No do not install anything else.Esecially registry cleaners that is nonsense dont believe it.Only use the defrag,Nothing else.

344 junk files and 18 registry errors on my computer. This is nonsense.
Should I download what it tells me to to fix these? NO!!!

Glad to hear everthing is better.Also follow up in the malware forum ,to make sure you are clean. :thumbsup:

wynnyelle

wynnyelle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I definitely will. I still need to get that canned air and give the computer a blowout. Thank you so much. However, are there any other steps I can take? It hasn't been long enough for me to be sure that the freezing has stopped. What even caused it?

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
The problem was you had too many auto loading startup items and services.Instead of them running all the time you now decide when the programs execute.I want you to finish by opening an elevated command prompt,then copy and paste the following commands in CMD.exe First run sfc /scannow
Allow that to finish.Then run CHKDSK /f or CHKDSK /r it will ask you if you want to schedule a check disk on you next reboot type y hit enter then close anything you have open and reboot your machine.This may take some time,that is normal.See instructions below for opening an elevated command prompt.To open Elevated Command Prompt as Administrator. Click on Start and type CMD into the search box, then right-click the command prompt icon and select Run as Administrator.

wynnyelle

wynnyelle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I apparently still have the problem, because the computer is still freezing. Froze twice before I could get to you with this.

I also already showed you what happened when I tried to run the command line thing, I think that is on page 1.

What do I do?

I've been telling people I think this is a hardware problem not a software problem. do you think it is a hardware problem or software problem?

Edited by wynnyelle, 12 December 2011 - 08:23 AM.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
I think you need to clean the inside of the computer.Uninstall your current version of avast. Then run the avast removal tool found here.
http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility Then re download avast from here. http://www.avast.com...ivirus-download
I think you have malware.On your machine this is the last step we are going to take.Until the malware techs give you the all clear.
The cause of your malware is utorrent I assume you were downloading torrents.That is why your computer is in the current state that it is in.

EDIT: If you do not have freeze ups in safe mode I am almost 100% sure you have some malware on your machine.

Edited by rockmilk, 12 December 2011 - 08:48 AM.

wynnyelle

wynnyelle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I have not actually used utorrent in almost a year. When I did, it was to download something that I had already paid for but had not gotten the key for it. I had to use a download to get that key. There was no issue from it, but i never uninstalled it. And that programme is clean.

This freezing problem began suddenly about a month ago. I paid Dell to have it fixed. you can see how that worked.

anyway I will take your advice and do all that and then let you know how it goes.

Edited by wynnyelle, 12 December 2011 - 08:51 AM.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Ok follow the video when cleaning your pc.Re-seat everything when you have your video card ram hard drive out blow out the slots they plug into also pay special attention and clean out the heat sink and fans.Let me know how it goes after the cleaning.

Edited by rockmilk, 12 December 2011 - 09:07 AM.

Advertisements

wynnyelle

wynnyelle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
All right I uninstalled/reinstalled. Scan after reinstalling found nothing.

Oh I'm sorry I didn't see your latest reply. I will do the cleaning probably tonight and let you know how it goes from there. Thank you

Edited by wynnyelle, 12 December 2011 - 09:21 AM.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Ok how is the freezing in safe mode??Also now??

wynnyelle

wynnyelle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Have not had another freeze yet but it hasn't been very long. I went to bed I think around midnight my time, shortly after I got done here for the night, woke up and it was feezing all over again when I booted it up.

How does one run the computer in safe mode? I'm going to have to do it to avoid frying the registry if it freezes again...and it will.

Edited by wynnyelle, 12 December 2011 - 09:30 AM.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
I doubt it will fry the registry. Also have you open the side of your computer?Is there any dust?To boot into safe mode.
http://www.howtogeek...er-in-safe-mode

wynnyelle

wynnyelle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Haven't opened it yet, it's just too scary. I'm afraid of doing it wrong. I'm going to do it, I just need to prepare.

I just tried safe mode. Safe mode doesn't let you access the internet, so I won't be able to troubleshoot with you guys or download any fixes I might need, so safe mode is out.