Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Dimension 4600 and new Video Card

• Please log in to reply

Moose78

Moose78

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Greetings,

I have a "New" video card for my old Dell Dimension 4600 System; it is a NVidia GeForce 7600 GT. I can get the card to work, but it takes some work. When I first installed the card, it did not read it as my monitor(Acer P215H) was not getting a signal. Put the old card back in, and it works. I've changed the bios setting to that it is set to AGP and not auto, I've also tried putting the memory settings to 32, 64 and 256 mb; each has worked at different times, but not always on the first try. I've updated all the drivers, graphics card, intel drivers and monitor drivers.

What's strange is, I can normally get the card to work, but it's simply trial and error and t only loses it's signal if the machine loses power. Anymore, I'm afraid to restart the system as it may have this problem as it currently has. I'm now going back and trying to get it to work, but if anyone knows of a permanent fix for this rather annoying issue, I would be most grateful.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I think I am correct in saying that you have had similar issues before, although I am NOT sure that it was on this computer with THIS card.

I have a "New" video card for my old Dell Dimension 4600 System; it is a NVidia GeForce 7600 GT
Is THIS the same one as was NEW in April this year

Current card is:NVidia GeForce 7600GT 512mb agp, however, this issue was happening before I upgraded the card a couple weeks ago (for performance reasons). Card before this was an nvidia geforce 6200.

What make is the actual card please - not the Nvidia graphics engine on the card.

ie EVGA , MSi etc.

What is your PSU as the minimum recommended is 350 watt and MORE importantly, what is THE PSU even if 350 watts MAXIMUM -
capable of supplying on the 12 volt rail

For the eVGA e-GeForce 7600 GT 256MB DDR3 they recommend a minimum 350W power supply with 18A on the +12v rail, for the ones with the eVGA fan they recommend a 400W power supply. BFG recommends a 350W power supply with 20A on the +12v rail.

eVGA also recommends a minimum 350W power supply with 18A for the 7300GT. BFG recommends a 350W supply and doesn't mention current ratings.

I have not checked but when you DO - I will be surprised if that Dell with the ORIGINAL PSU met these specifications.

I HAVE NOW CHECKED
http://support.dell....00/sm/specs.htm

If it is the original PSU - 250 watts
<a name="1107116">

Moose78

Moose78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

I think I am correct in saying that you have had similar issues before, although I am NOT sure that it was on this computer with THIS card.

Same PC; different issue; same card. Not really sure why I referred to it as a new card

What make is the actual card please - not the Nvidia graphics engine on the card.

ie EVGA , MSi etc.

The box has graphics by NVidia all over it, so I assumed it was an nvidia brand card

I have not checked but when you DO - I will be surprised if that Dell with the ORIGINAL PSU met these specifications.

I HAVE NOW CHECKED
http://support.dell....00/sm/specs.htm

If it is the original PSU - 250 watts

Yes it is the stock supply; the switch on the back reads 115/230.

So safely assuming this is a power supply issue, how do I go about getting a psu with enough power to run the card without issues and not harm anything else?

Like say this one for example?
Replacement PSU

Edited by Moose78, 11 December 2011 - 08:19 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I will reply about 1900 hrs I was signing off, when I received the notification of your post.

Am I not correct in saying that the PSU issue was raised on the previous thread. - it does not really matter now, but you have little chance if any of running that graphics on that PSU

Have you checked the amps on the 12 volt rail it will state it on the PSU.

The box has graphics by NVidia all over it, so I assumed it was an nvidia brand card

It may well have - but have another look please. not always but usually top left or bottom right.
OR the leaflets, guide provided with it. -

Moose78

Moose78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
No, the last time I posted on here was back in the spring and was due to system crashes; I do not recall the power supply being brought up in that topic. Thank you for your prompt responses; it is greatly appreciated. I'm looking into upgrading the power supply right now; probably should've done that when the card was purchased. Thanks again for taking the time to help out

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
No problem. The 115/230 is nothing to do with the wattage etc. It is the voltage for the 115 of some countries and the 230 volts of others. In otherwords the voltage of the AC supply.

Have you checked the amps on the 12 volt rail it will state it on the PSU.

If that power supply has anything like the required amps on the 12v I will be amazed. However - surprises always DO happen :lol:

Moose78

Moose78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Here is some more info on the PSU I'm looking into:

Power Description:
Output Power 480W
Input Voltage 115V / 230V AC
Frequency 60/ 50 Hz
Output Voltage +5V -5V +12A -12V +3.3V +5V-SB
Current 22/24A 0.5A 24A 0.8A 14A 2.5A

Technical Information:
Fan Rear Fan
MTBF 100000 Hours at 25°C
Connectors 24pin(20+4) ATX | 4pin P4-12V | 4pin Molex | 4pin FDD |15pin SATA2
| 6pin AUX

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
What make - link to the site please.

Did you check the label on the one presently in the Dell.?

Before you buy the PSU - to try and ensure you are not wasting money - lets try and establish that the rest of the system is OK

Moose78

Moose78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
It's a kdm ps-M6480H ;

Here are a couple links:

http://smartcpsuppli...0w-w2-sata.html

http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_2016wt_1163

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Did you check the label on the one presently in the Dell

I am sorry to labour the point, but this is the third time I have asked.

It MAY indicate WHAT tests we carry out to assure you as far as possible that the computer is worthy of the PSU upgrade

Also you have not YET answered this.

It may well have - but have another look please. not always but usually top left or bottom right.
OR the leaflets, guide provided with it. -

Please remember that all I have to work with - is the result of whatever I ask you to run, BUT more importantly what you tell me in response to my questions,.

Advertisements

Moose78

Moose78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Sorry, the +12 on the 250 = 16A

Here is the info on the card; it did not come with a manual as I got it on ebay, but the box says Nvidia all over it. See the below link for a screenshot of my device manager properties; and the card is working again. But as it always does, it took several attempts to get it working.

http://img824.images...46/17734102.png

Edited by Moose78, 12 December 2011 - 08:02 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well - I would definitely say you need to replace it

The wattage depends on the total amount required by all the components PLUS of course a small safety margin AND when that is calculated - it must be capable of supplying that all the time NOT just the maximum it can supply.

Use this - you do not of course have to buy Corsair -
http://www.corsair.c...earn_n_explore/

See this

Peak vs. Maximum Wattage Output
This is the first consideration when it comes to looking at power supply specifications. The peak output rating is the highest amount of power the unit can supply but this is only for a very brief time. Units cannot continuously supply power at this level and if it attempts to do so will cause damage. You want to find the maximum continuous wattage rating of the power supply. This is the highest amount that the unit can supply continuously to the components. Even with this, you want to make sure the maximum wattage rating is higher than you intend to use.

Another thing to be aware of with the wattage output has to do with how it is calculated. There are three primary voltage rails inside of the power supply: +3.3V, +5V and +12V. Each of these supplies power to the various components of the computer system. It is the combined total power output of all these lines that make up the total power output of the power supply. The formula used to do this is:

• Wattage = Voltage multiplied by Amperage
So, if you look at a power supply label and it shows that the +12V line supplies 18A of power, that voltage rail can supply a maximum of 216W of power. This may be only a small fraction of say the 450W the power supply is rated at. The maximum output of the +5V and +3.3V rails would then be calculated and added to the overall wattage rating.

+12V Rail
The most important voltage rail in a power supply is the +12V rail. This voltage rail supplies power to the most demanding components including the processor, drives, cooling fans and graphics cards. All of these items draw a lot of current and as a result you want to make sure that you purchase a unit that supplies enough power to the +12V rail.

Do not be too concerned about this is it is ONLY to show why I asked about the existing PSU
if it was me, but then I do not know KDM I would stay with one of the more widely known PSU makes.
Please note - that MAY be unfair to KDM.

For the opinion of an expert on these matters see this -
http://www.geekstogo..._1#entry2005497

Post 8 on that link. -WHERE there is another PSU calculator
Posted with acknowledgement to Digerati - Staff member at GeekstoGo

Graphics
The entry on device manager does not mean anything as it will only see the Nvidia graphics engine.
YOU say you still have the box. - Just examine it carefully. - as I have already said.

Moose78

Moose78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I can post a pic if it helps?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Of what sorry

Moose78

Moose78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
New power supply installed, same problem. No signal. Card is a GeForce 7600 gt 512 mb agp