Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost iTunes!

• Please log in to reply

Laineykins

Laineykins

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just purchased an iMAC G5 this past Feb. Something happened with my hard drive and it had to be replaced (under warranty...phew!) I had downloaded about 260 iTunes @ .99/tune but sadly, did not back them up. Yes, you guessed it...ALL GONE! I do, however, still have them on my iPOD. My question is.....How do I restore my downloaded music back onto my computer? It is my understanding that I am allowed to download iTUNES 3 times. I paid for that music & should be able to have it restored to my computer.
Can anyone out there tell me if they have had this experience & if so, how to rectify it.
I do know that it is possible but I do not know how to go about doing this.
Anxiously awaiting some Good & Positive feedback!
Thanks,
Laineykins :tazz:

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Not sure if this will help as there's a possibility, if you try to download to the new hard drive, whether the iPod will know it's the same PC or not and erase all your tunes. Hopefully, it is smarter than I think and it will give you a warning that if you proceed it will erase the tunes.

P.S. This is a direct quote from the shuffle page on Apple's website:

Plug-and-Playlists
iPod shuffle makes syncing a piece of cake. Cupcake, even. Use the optional Dock to connect to your computer or just plug iPod shuffle directly into a USB port on any computer. Then drag and drop individual songs, Autofill your favorite playlists or Autofill your iPod shuffle with a random sampling from your music library. Since iPod shuffle automatically charges while syncing, it stays ready for your next adventure

Don't know if that's much help. Not sure about the downloading 3 times. Possibly since there are no itunes.itl and itunes.xml on the new HD, maybe it will not be a problem. There's got to be some iPod users surfing this site that have an answer.

Ron

blsimpson

blsimpson

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I know that there are fixes out there for pulling your music off of an IPod. Apple purposly made it so that you cant pull files off your IPod, so it will cut down on music "sharing", but of course, when did that stop anyone?
I know you can get a file called IPodAgent for the PC (what I use), and there are patches and such that you can use to pull it off a MAC. Try doing a Google search for it. I did, and it returned 352,000 hits.

Laineykins

Laineykins

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Guess what people.......I got all my iTunes back onto my computer :tazz:

I cannot, however, take the credit. I have a next door neighbor who has a masters in Engineering. He wears his "GEEK CAP" proudly & he loves a good challenge. He also worked for AOl for many years as he is a Braniac software engineer.

I actually looked up (online) a site for restoring my iTunes from my iPod back to my computer. It was found at: www.senuti.com
It didn't allow me to restore my iTunes, for whatever reason.
My neighbor just used my iPod, as it is just a fancy, schmancy hard drive anyway, and put all the files from my iPod onto my computer by giving commands with something called linix and he even used unix (sp?) Anyway....whatever he did, worked and I couldn't be happier ;)
Then...he went out & bought me an external hard drive so that I would not forget to drag all my info to this safe place NOW!!!! Oh....BTW...I did pay him for the Ext. HD. and for all his wonderful time helping me on my MAC G5 OS X...well, I will do something extra special.
Thanks to blsimpson & Major Payne for your initial concern!
;)
Lainey

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
That's happy news! Glad you got them recovered and know how relieved you are. Always nice to have a geek as a neighbor. :tazz:

Ron