Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will an HD webcam cause video card to run to hot and fail?

• Please log in to reply

rocco1005

rocco1005

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I just got an HD webcam to do live streaming and i have just a basic cheap Sparkle video card and now after about 15 minutes my monitor will shutdown, is this because the video card is getting too hot and then just quits? Now even when my webcam isnt on, my monitor will still shutdown and the video card is still very very hot which didnt use to get that hot and my monitor never would shutdown until i got this webcam. Could i have caused some internal failure within the video card since it still shuts off my monitor even when the webcam isnt hooked up?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi rocco1005
You need to provide information about your computer, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable others to better assist you.
Your PSU and poor case cooling also need to be considered as possible causes or contributors to the issue.

rocco1005

rocco1005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
ok. Its a custom made with intel pentium 4 3.00 ghz processor and 2.5GB Ram. I am pretty sure that something inside the video card was damaged when my HD webcam was streaming because now the card gets very hot and shuts off the monitor even when im not running the webcam. What are the specs for a video card i need to look for in order for my computer to run a streaming HD webcam at all times? THanks for any help by the way.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Ok thanks, can you provide your PSU details brand and output and your Sparkle card details model and memory size please.

rocco1005

rocco1005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Ok thanks, can you provide your PSU details brand and output and your Sparkle card details model and memory size please.

OK the power supply is a Power Man 350W and the video card is SPARKLE SX84GS512S3LNM GeForce 8400 GS 512MB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Out of the two products I would trust the Sparkle video card before the PSU as the PSU brand is known to be of a poor quality, check http://www.10stripe....d/psu/brand.php for PSUs you can trust and PSUs to avoid, notice your present PSU is on the list to avoid;
You GFX card details http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814187168 a good quality brand 350W PSU would normally be ok for a card that requires a 300W as yours does but adding the strain of the HD webcam to an underpowered PSU may have just been too much for it and has possibly also damaged your video card.