Welcome Guest to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of friendly volunteers serve up answers and support. Get free advice from the experts. Feel free to browse the site as a guest. However, you must log in to reply to existing topics or start a new topic of your own, and enjoy all this forum has to offer. Additionally, if you can assist another member by sharing your knowledge, please post a reply! Best of all - Registration and all assistance, is FREE! Learn more about How it Works. Infected? Malware Cleaning Guide. What are you waiting for?
Create an Account Login to Account

Removing ComboFix [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

joseph456

joseph456

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
On 9/28/11 I received help on a malware issue and was advised to install ComboFix. Everything is ok now. How do I remove it from my desktop along with all associated files?

Thanks.

Edited by joseph456, 12 December 2011 - 12:12 AM.

Advertisement

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

GeekU Mammoth

• GeekU Moderator
  • 7,645 posts
Hi. :)

How to uninstall ComboFix as follows...

Uninstall ComboFix:

• Click on Start >> Run...
  • Now type in ComboFix /Uninstall into the run-box and click OK.
  • Note the space between the X and the /Uninstall, it needs to be there.
  • Posted Image

joseph456

joseph456

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Thanks.

As I was getting ready to remove it I saw this from Trend Micro, Ran Malwarebytes and SAS and both came up clean.

Anything to be concerned about?

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

GeekU Mammoth

• GeekU Moderator
  • 7,645 posts
Hi. :)

Thanks.

You're welcome!

As I was getting ready to remove it I saw this from Trend Micro, Ran Malwarebytes and SAS and both came up clean.

Anything to be concerned about?

Not a cause for concern, what was removed was merely some infected System Restore points and one a false positive detection against the scanning application DDS. It is also safe to remove them permanently from Trend Micro's qwawratine folder and or leave them alone, either is fine.

Now with regard to uninstalling ComboFix...part of the process will actually flush old System Restore points and create a new clean one.

Any further questions? Feel free to ask, if not stay safe!

joseph456

joseph456

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Thanks for responding. Followed through with uninstall seemed like it was running since it showed a box that said "Extracting ..." and then got a "dire warning" that AntiVirus was running and should run at my own risk. X'd out of it and got a message that ComboFix was uninstalled and the icon disappeared from my desktop. Is it partially uninstalled? Are all the related files removed? Do I need to do anything else? Removed all System Restore files but did not establish a new one. I rebooted (warm) and then turned on System Restore.

Edited by joseph456, 13 December 2011 - 10:36 AM.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

GeekU Mammoth

• GeekU Moderator
  • 7,645 posts
Should be fine and merely ComboFix warning about the active Anti-Virus as it would when say actually ran in scan mode...

However too play safe and ensure all remnants gone download OTC and save it to desktop. This tool will remove all the tools(and logs created) used to clean your pc.

• Double-click OTC.exe.
  • Click the CleanUp! button.
  • Select Yes when the "Begin cleanup Process?" prompt appears.
  • If you are prompted to Reboot during the cleanup, select Yes.
  • The tool will delete itself once it finishes, if not delete it by yourself.
Note: If you receive a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding OTC attempting to contact the internet, please allow it to do so.

Then create a new System Restore point...

joseph456

joseph456

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
That worked well and system booted right up. I really appreciate your time and quick responses. Everyone at this site has been extremely helpful.

Hope you all have a Happy Holiday!

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

GeekU Mammoth

• GeekU Moderator
  • 7,645 posts
You're most welcome and likewise! :)

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

GeekU Mammoth

• GeekU Moderator
  • 7,645 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Advertisement