Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't open programs Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

Ebola

Ebola

• Pip
  • 5 posts
The other day I ran a system scan with ESET Security and it finally found the WIN Malware Virus I'd been having problems with. After the scan was complete, I went to open Mozilla Firefox, and it wouldn't let me. Instead, a window popped up saying 'Open with'. Underneath the title it said 'Recommended Programs'. Underneath that was Internet Explorer, which I never use. Basically it's asking me to open Mozilla Firefox with internet explorer. After that I went to change the date and time back to normal (I changed it for a game) and the same thing happened.
The weird thing is that when I open AIM and sign in, it automatically brings up AOL.com in Mozilla Firefox and I can use it without problem. I just can't open it myself.
So yeah, I haven't a clue what's going on and I'm kind of worried. Please help, thank you!

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You need to restore the exe file associations. See here: Default File Type Association - Restore

zinzuzinzu

zinzuzinzu

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi Ebola.

Can you tried a number of ways.

delete cache cookie/sesscion for Firefox, IE

Upgrade ,download fix IE or FF.

Tried system scan sofware dead virus difficult

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. :)

If still problems follow the advice below and in the event not a malware problem merely post back in this topic such...

--------------

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suggest you try Ztrukers method first and then if that doesn't work then follow [b]Dakryras instructions.

Ebola

Ebola

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've been trying to download that 'restore .exe' program and it keeps telling me 'access denied', and now I can't open ANYTHING. The only way I could open Mozilla was by running it as an administrator. :( It's getting worse. Usually when I start my computer a bunch of things open and run automatically, and NONE of them are opening. I can't change my settings, and even my volume control is wacked out, it'll usually display the volume as I change it, and now that's not even showing up. :upset:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE, scroll down to line 324 on the right column and get the files association for exe's patch.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That is for XP. Will it work for Windows 7?

I know this one works: Default_EXE.REG

Just click on the above link and you should get a download window.
Save to your Desktop.
Right click on it and select Merge.
Click Yes.
Reboot.

Ebola

Ebola

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I keep seeing on forums and websites to merge it, I don't get that option when I right click.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The file should be called Default_EXE.REG, exactly as I typed it. When you downloaded it to your Desktop as I mentioned above, were you prompted with the name Default_EXE.REG?

Ebola

Ebola

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes. It said to either save the file or cancel.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Look at the link I first gave you. Scroll down to the part that says Here's How: and read the Tip and folllow the instructions to get Merge back.

Ebola

Ebola

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Do i need to be in safe mode for it to work? Because everything works fine in safemode w/ networking (that's what im in right now).

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You can try it there, won't hurt. If it works, great. If not boot normally and follow the directions to enable Merge then merge the Default_EXE.REG file you downloaded.