Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Speeding Up an 11 Year Old PC

• Please log in to reply

OldFatGuy

OldFatGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Ok, I'm uninstalling a lot of stuff. But I have a question about a directory that's been at the top of my C: drive for over two years now. It's got a really long, weird name (has letters and symbols in the name) and it has LOTS of stuff in the directory. I have wanted to delete it for some time but was always scared too. If I post a screen shot of what it looks like on Windows explorer would that be enough info for you to look to determine if it's safe to delete???

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Please do not uninstall anything at the moment, have you done the fixes at PCPitstop?

OldFatGuy

OldFatGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
One of the fixes at PCPitStop was to make more hard disk room and it recommended uninstalling stuff. Was I wrong?????

I've already uninstalled a LOT, my free disk space is now over 30GB.

FWIW, the only things I uninstalled was games though.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Phew, you had me worried then and especially when you asked about the directory on your C: drive.
Uninstalling the games is fine but be sure that if any of them have an uninstaller that you use it or you can end up with files that you cannot get rid of without a format.

OldFatGuy

OldFatGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
OK, I did all the steps on PCPitStop except one.

To delete the temporary files I ran TFC again. Was that correct? LOL, I guess I should've asked that before I did it. Sorry.

The one step I did NOT take from PCPitstop was to update my display drivers. I've currently got an Nvidia graphics card, and I've already ordered and will receive within the next couple of days a new, ATI Radeon graphics card. So I don't really see the point of updating my drivers since I'm going to be chaning the card, and thus the drivers, very very soon anyway. I just checked the tracking and it scheduled for delivery on Tuesday, which is only two days away.

However, if it's important to change the drivers please tell me and I will. It just seems like it doesn't matter since I'm changing drivers in two days anyway.

EDIT: In case folks are confused by my initial post where I said I had ordered a new Nvidia GeForce 520, I had to return that one because it turns out that old PC has the AGP architecture and the 520 wasn't AGP, it was PCIe. So I found what appeared to be the best AGP card on the market today and it was an ATI Radeon.

Edited by OldFatGuy, 18 December 2011 - 03:27 PM.

OldFatGuy

OldFatGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Phew, you had me worried then and especially when you asked about the directory on your C: drive.
Uninstalling the games is fine but be sure that if any of them have an uninstaller that you use it or you can end up with files that you cannot get rid of without a format.

Ugh, on no. Ok, well entirely my fault. I'll have to live with the consequences. Sorry. I used the Add/Remove Programs to uninstall all of those games. Darn it.

I'm sorry, I just thought the PCPitstop step number one recommended uninstalling programs to get at least 25% disk free space and I didn't know about the files being stuck there if I used the Add/Remove Programs instead of the specific game's uninstaller.

This is why I usually ask before doing anything, because I have a knack for doing things wrong. I should've asked before I started uninstalling the games. My bad.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

To delete the temporary files I ran TFC again. Was that correct? LOL, I guess I should've asked that before I did it. Sorry.

That`s fine.

The one step I did NOT take from PCPitstop was to update my display drivers.

Many driver updates are released to address known issues with a product so if you are not having that said issue you do not need the driver update + you actually stand a chance of creating problems with drivers, if it ain`t broke don`t fix it., basically I would have asked if your graphics were ok before making a suggestion on that in any event.

Ugh, on no. Ok, well entirely my fault. I'll have to live with the consequences. Sorry. I used the Add/Remove Programs to uninstall all of those games.

Just remember this for future reference for yourself + you can always do Autoruns again and let us check it for you.

OldFatGuy

OldFatGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Ok, I will remember it.

Thank you again for all of your help. Hope you and yours have a happy and safe holiday season.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Thank you again for all of your help. Hope you and yours have a happy and safe holiday season.

Likewise, best of health and wealth to you and your family :thumbsup:
Is your PC running as you would like now or do you wish to continue with tidying up the HDD and updating some programs?

OldFatGuy

OldFatGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I have to admit there is a NOTICEABLE difference. I also have to admit that I was skeptical at first whether it was even possible (with those speed up programs or without). I thought perhaps those advising me to re-install Windows were probably right that I would notice a difference but I figured that was the only way. But man, I do notice a difference. It comes up faster, and when playing a game the response times to things like loading saved games, changing areas of a game, stuff like that are NOTICEABLY different.

So I'm game for trying something else if you want to. After all, you've already helped me. So I trust your judgement.

EDIT: Well, my new Radeon video card just arrived. So if that helps too then this thing will be a big improvement over what it was a week ago. I'm not gonna put that in though until you and I are done.

Edited by OldFatGuy, 20 December 2011 - 12:30 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Great I am pleased to hear that you are happy with the tune up :yes:
Ok you have two Symantec entries in your list of software, these need to be removed using the appropriate uninstaller @ https://www-secure.s...n=1&pvid=f-home follow the removal guide there please and then post back for the next step.

OldFatGuy

OldFatGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Great I am pleased to hear that you are happy with the tune up :yes:
Ok you have two Symantec entries in your list of software, these need to be removed using the appropriate uninstaller @ https://www-secure.s...n=1&pvid=f-home follow the removal guide there please and then post back for the next step.

Is there any way to figure out which option I'm supposed to pick??? I'm sorry, but for the life of me I can't remember how/where I got any Norton software. The program you speak of shows up on the Add/Remove programs if that is a last resort. But I can't remember at all even getting Norton, much less how/when I got it. And there's no way on earth I have any idea what the install code would've been.

Any suggestions???

So sorry for my cluelessness. My memory just isn't very good any more.

EDIT: Oops, I see you mentioned TWO programs, not one. I'll look again but the only Symantec one I found in the list on Add/Remove porgrams was ONE, not two. Yep, there's just one that I can see on there.

I'm a mess, aren't I???? LOL

EDIT 2: Okay, I found the other one, it IS listed under Add/Remove programs. There ARE two symantec entries listed on Add/Remove programs. Sorry, my bad. Somehow I missed seeing the second two times.

Edited by OldFatGuy, 20 December 2011 - 01:46 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Is there any way to figure out which option I'm supposed to pick

Because of the age of the software it is most likely Norton 360 so choose that option.

And there's no way on earth I have any idea what the install code would've been.

You will not need any code :thumbsup:

but for the life of me I can't remember how/where I got any Norton software

It was probably on the HDD when you bought the computer, it is commonly known as bloatware;

(blōtwr) (n.) jargon Software that has lots of features and requires considerable disk space and RAM. As the cost of RAM and disk storage has decreased, there has been a growing trend among software developers to disregard the size of applications. Some people refer to this trend as creeping featuritis. If creeping featuritis is the symptom, bloatware is the disease.

OldFatGuy

OldFatGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Yep, that worked. Thank you.

Symantec programs removed.

Anything else or was that it?

EDIT: Upon restart, it automatically went to a webpage that says:

Norton Found a problem.

Reinstalling your Norton product after you run the Norton Removal Tool.

I'm guessing I ignore that since I don't want to reinstall anything, right??

UGH! Plus, now upon restart, LiveUpdate 1.6 (Symantec Corporation) is still showing up under Add/Remove programs.

That crap should be illegal the way their software hijacks your machine.

What now?

Edited by OldFatGuy, 20 December 2011 - 03:14 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Yes ignore it and let us know if the message persists.
Update your Java it will improve your video and gaming http://www.java.com/...nload/index.jsp again let us know when this is done.