Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Speeding Up an 11 Year Old PC

• Please log in to reply

OldFatGuy

OldFatGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Did you notice my latest edit??

The LiveUpdate still shows up as a program under Add/Remove programs. Does this matter?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Try removing it in Add/Remove programs then run the uninstaller again, if all else fails try this http://www.revounins...e_download.html

OldFatGuy

OldFatGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Ok, when I tried to remove it using Add/Remove programs a pop up box came up saying:

"An error occurred while trying to remove LiveUpdate 1.6 (Symantec Corporation). It may have already been uninstalled. Would you like to remove LiveUpdate 1.6 (Symantec Corporation) from the Add or Remove programs list?"

Yes or No

I assume I should choose Yes????

OldFatGuy

OldFatGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Regarding the Java program...

At the link you provided it says "Why download Java?" and then says "Java technology allows you to work and play in a secure computing environment. Java allows you to play online games, chat with people around the world, calculate your mortage interest, and view images in 3D, just to name a few."

I don't do any of those things. I never play games online, I can already chat with people (aren't I chatting with you right now) and Excel can compute mortgage interest and I don't have any 3D glasses.

I'm just wondering if this is relevant for me or not. Again, I trust your judgement, so if you tell me it's worth downloading and installing this, then I will. I just wanted to make sure you knew I didn't play any online games.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Correct, did you see my earlier post #30 regarding updating your Java?
Oops cross posting :blush:
As I said earlier Java will help with personal gaming, videos and films etc not just online.

OldFatGuy

OldFatGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Okay, Java installed.

LOL, won't that get added back into the startup programs?? I thought Java was one of the ones I disabled from start-up but I might be misremembering that.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
If you havn`t already remove DH Driver Cleaner Professional Edition, Fix-It Utilities 7 Professional and if you don`t use it at all, both Microsoft Money 2002 entries, don`t forget check them for uninstaller programs first but if not use Add/Remove programs and/or run Revo Uninstaller.

NB: On a side note seeing Curse of Monkey Island in your list of games brought back fond memories and a chuckle or two :D

OldFatGuy

OldFatGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Ok, done. Well except for Microsoft Money thing. I apologize, I guess I lied above when I said during the last uninstall that all I had uninstalled was games. I remember now that I did indeed also uninstall Microsoft Money when I was getting my hard drive to 25% free space as suggested by the PCPitstop recommendations.

I do apologize, I didn't intentionally lie, I just forgot, but the bottom line is the same I guess. Sorry.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
No worries you have had a lot to do, we are all done with the tune up do you require any assistance with fitting the new video card? If not let us know when you are up and running with the new card, if you need us you know where we are :thumbsup:

OldFatGuy

OldFatGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
No, I can handle the card.

However, the virus I mentioned my laptop got about week ago apparently wasn't vanished because it's back. Is that possible or is it more likely I just happened to get the same one again? I thought Anti-Malware Bytes had vanquished the thing.

Oh well, my fault I suppose for not running an anti-virus software. Somehow, none of my Windows security apps run (Windows defender, etc.).

[bleep] I'd like JUST ONCE to spend five minutes in a room with the [bleep] that do this stuff. Just 5 minutes.

Anyway, ok, we're done.

I don't know how to thank you other than just saying THANK YOU. Doesn't seem enough IMO. But I really, really, really appreciate all you've done for me.

May you and yours have a joyous and safe holiday season followed by a prosperous and safe New Year.

Peace
Joe
OldFatGuy

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Right you are then Joe, it has been a pleasure working with you, enjoy the festivities and good health and wealth to you and your family for the future :thumbsup:

Only the Malware Techs are trained and allowed to assist on those forums but follow the guide below and you may resolve the issue yourself, good luck;

I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.