Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP "setup is being restarted"

• Please log in to reply

Edan

Edan

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I’m sure I’m not the first person to have this issue and certainly not the last.
Out of the kindness of my heart i decided to help my parents clean up their computer, a clean XP install to wipe everything and start anew.
I inserted the boot cd and was all going well until the screen suddenly turned off during the end of the installation. After some time i thought i should turn the PC off and restart it. And that’s when the problems began. It would all load fine until the Windows logo would come on, It would then come up with a blue screen saying 'Setup is being restarted', this would last for 5 seconds then my screen would go black and that’s the end of it.

I’ve done many things to try fix it, spending days researching where I can.
I’ve tried installing Windows XP Home edition onto it (originally professional); I’ve actually tried many times where I’ve got 3 operating systems now. But when i completely format the hard drive, it will say i have 3 operating systems.
I’ve tried doing some things in the recovery console.
I’ve tried various other techniques and still nothing...

I know the pc is capable, because before i messed around with it, it was working fine.

Anyone know anything that could help me?

EDIT: The PC is a Dell Dimension 3100C

I’ve tried reinstalling XP a bunch of times and after going through the CD boot setups, the pc would boot then go back to the black screen. I feel there’s no progression.

Id highly appreciates any help!

Thanks a lot

EDIT:
I resolved my issue, I had found when the computer was on the black screen, I repeatedly pretted enter and tab and soon after I heard the computer processing, soon after the next steps of the installation continued.

Problem resolved!!

Edited by Edan, 12 December 2011 - 03:58 PM.

Advertisements

Chaputika

Chaputika

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hie, you must be experiencing a hardware problem,trying installing your software on a new hard Disk.Hard disk have these things

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :rockon: for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :thumbsup: :ph34r:
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible