Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Explorer.exe freezing on start-up

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Computer specs:
Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.66GHz
1.5GB RAM (1x 1GB, 1x 500MB)
1.29 TB HDD
ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series
Windows XP Professional

Things I have used to try and fix this error:
- AVG 2012 Free AV Scan
- AVG 2012 Free Anti-rootkit Scan
- COMODO Firewall "safe mode" configurations
- SUPERAntiSpyware scan
- Malwarebytes scan
- WinASO Registry Optimizer scan
- Disabled all non-Microsoft processes using Nirsoft ShellExView
- Disabled all non-Microsoft startup items using msconfig
- Chkdsk /r

The problem:
Windows loads correctly displaying the desktop with icons and bottom toolbar with Start bar. However, if you mouse over the toolbar there is an hourglass and no processes load on the bottom right despite them actually being open. Cannot click Start or any of the quick launch icons. Windows Task Manager shows explorer.exe running at about 25,000k mem usage which seems higher than usual. Ending explorer.exe's task and reopening it using "Run" usually fixes it, but it still feels sluggish.

I've also noticed that opening My Computer or My Documents while the toolbar is frozen is intermittent. It will open, but it freezes as well.

In msconfig services there are two "hanging" entries.
IPSEC Services "start pending"
Microsoft .NET Framework "stop pending"