Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

NO SOUND !

• Please log in to reply

beechman

beechman

• Pip
  • 7 posts
[FONT=Courier][SIZE=7][COLOR=blue][B]Hi Folks,I've just built a PC with the following spec: ASUS A7V8X-X mobo, ATHLON XP2600 CPU, CRUCIAL,512 MB DDR,SEAGATE 80GB HARD DRIVE, "MERCEDES" ATX CASE, RADEON 9200SE GRAPHICS CARD, SONY CD/RW,BEN-Q DVD ROM, FLOPPY,XP HOME EDITION.... Everything works apart from the sound when I plug the speakers into the rear plug, if I use the plug on the front of the tower the sound is OK. The board has onboard sound and I've checked all the drivers in Device Manager which says everything is working ok. I've also tried trouble shooting in Windows but to no avail. I've contacted Asus but I may have to wait 48 hours for a reply so I'd be grateful if anyone can help

Cheers Beech

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
Nice system. <_< Sounds like you've covered everything, maybe just a bad mobo. :D

Mikul

Mikul

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi Folks,I've just built a PC with the following spec: ASUS A7V8X-X mobo, ATHLON XP2600 CPU, CRUCIAL,512 MB DDR,SEAGATE 80GB HARD DRIVE, "MERCEDES" ATX CASE, RADEON 9200SE GRAPHICS CARD, SONY CD/RW,BEN-Q DVD ROM, FLOPPY,XP HOME EDITION.... Everything works apart from the sound when I plug the speakers into the rear plug, if I use the plug on the front of the tower the sound is OK. The board has onboard sound and I've checked all the drivers in Device Manager which says everything is working ok. I've also tried trouble shooting in Windows but to no avail. Cheers Beech

View Post

Beech:
I had a similar problem with the Asus A7V8x-x recently, no sound but all drivers and hardware checked out. The tip-off was getting some sound from the front and back headphone jacks (only one or the other should work). All audio goes through the pin panel in the upper left of the mobo -- where you are supposed to be able to plug in the front panel mic/phones. If the panel is not plugged at all, you get no sound. Asus includes some jumpers with the mobo, but doesn't tell you that they are supposed to be used here. Just jumper the right and left line pins (one jumper each -- they are separated by a single-pin that is unused. If you can't find any jumpers in the box, HD or CD-ROM jumpers will work). Now you should have on-board sound.
So far as I can tell, Asus has nothing about this on their site -- bad on them! -- and certainly nothing in the manual. Sound Max alludes to this on their site but no details.
Mikul
Machine I built: Asus A7V8X-X
Athlon XP 2500
1024 Mb Apacer RAM
ATI All-in-Wonder 9200
LG 4520b combo CDRW/DVDROM
LG 4120b CD/DVDRW
80g Maxtor Diamond 8 HDD
modded case, etc. A swell machine!

Yenian

Yenian

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Precisely which jumpers on the front audio panel should one bridge?

Should it be:
XXO O
XXOXO

or

OOO O
OOOXO

where X indicates an unjumpered pin, and O indicates a jumpered one.

Or what should it be?

Mikul

Mikul

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I no longer have the diagrams, but your first choice is correct, as I remember.
XXO O
XXOXO
One set of pins is In/Out for each channel. If you have the book or can find the motherboard diagram, check for this -- should indicate Right Return/Right In & Left ditto or something like that for the proper pin pairs. One of the left pin pairs has to do with the headphone jacks on the back and front of the case. I believe that, for the jack on the rear of the case (the one on the MB itself) to work, these also had to be jumpered (I did not bother to test this out). I can't recall what the final pin pair was all about. Asus supplied the proper jumpers -- they were bright blue -- they just didn't say what to do with them.

Yenian

Yenian

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Mine actually came with those pins jumpered, but I still don't get sound out of my front right speaker. Who knows, but it's actually about time I got a real soundcard.

Mikul

Mikul

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Check the pins diagram in your documentation to make certain they are the same as my memory. The sound circuit appears to route through both front panel and rear of case jacks. You might check the case wiring to the front panel and its connection to the motherboard.

Yenian

Yenian

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Your diagram matches. I'm actually trying to use the back plugs, I have no front panel speakers. Still doesn't work.

Mikul

Mikul

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Even if your case doesn't have front panel jacks, the MB has outputs for that purpose. In this case I think the pins are in the main field which is lower right corner, where the power and led pins are. Find the I/O pins for sound and jumper them.

apolq

apolq

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi guys, im a newbie here.

need a li'l help. can someone give me the codes written on the fuse/capacitor of the power supply for the cpu fan and chassis fan of ASUS A7V8X-X. mine just blew up.

you can email it to me @ apolq@yahoo.com, or send it via sms at +63917-6250974

thanks