Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP FREEZES DURING SET-UP

• Please log in to reply

Chaputika

Chaputika

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
First i would like to wish you all a happy Christmas and New Year.

Somebody called me to have a look at his machine. It was infected with viruses. I backed up all the information and started formatting the machine.

After loading the XP Files,the red Bar appears and the machine reboots and Freezes at the WINDOWS XP SCREEN. I changed the memory, did a complete format in vain. What is realy behind this problem?

I need to infrom the client what is going on.my XP installation Discs are working.

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Have you tried to test the hard disk, it might be defective

Chaputika

Chaputika

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Have you tried to test the hard disk, it might be defective

Morning Alziemer

How do i test the hard drive?, do you know of any free tools i can use?

Thanks in advance

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Find the model of your hard drive )WD, Seagate, Maxtor ect) and go to their website to find the Bootable ISO Image of the diagnostic program for your brand, then burn it to a cd and boot from it.

Those Bootable ISO Images are all free

Chaputika

Chaputika

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Find the model of your hard drive )WD, Seagate, Maxtor ect) and go to their website to find the Bootable ISO Image of the diagnostic program for your brand, then burn it to a cd and boot from it.

Alzeirmar, thanks for the update.my CD rom is not writtable.Isnt there any other way to find out?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Alzeirmar, thanks for the update.my CD rom is not writtable.Isnt there any other way to find out?

You can create a bootable floopy disk, most have a version you can download for a floppy drive.