Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random reboots

• Please log in to reply

Wes2000

Wes2000

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
This is a quote of the topic I had in the XP fourms before I realized the problem. The first post by me is the problem, and the rest are what ive already tried to do to fix it ;) Hope someone can help :tazz: if you need more info ill be glad to give it ;)

Posted by: Wes2000 May 30 2005, 10:06 PM

I built this computer about 5 months ago and no problems. For some reason about a month ago, my computer randomly shutdown on its own. At the time I didnt think to much about it because it didnt happen again for a while. But now it seems to be getting more and more frequent. It seems to only happen when I am running heavy loads (a lot of time with many firefox windows, limewire, a few minor progs and mabey diablo). It will also do it if I close all things and just run Americas Army, and then when I alt-tab out to desktop then go back into the running game it does it.

I was thinking ram at first, but I have 1gig and it doesnt seem to be getting close to maxing it out.

I also thought mabey overheating, but the bootup temps seem fine from 38-40 range.

As im typing this I sort of think videocard because of the americas army thing (yet i can do the exact same thing with warcraft III and no problem).

Any tips?

Thanks

Posted by: Wes2000 Yesterday, 12:11 AM

Actually, im kindof going back to the overheating part. Is there any program that will activly monitor my system/cpu temperatures? Possibly something that runs in the system tray or saves logs so I can see what its at before it restarts, because I know my system will sell restart if it finds itself getting overheated, and one difference before it started doing this was I was in a much colder room and it might have had better airflow also.

Posted by: Czarina Yesterday, 12:54 AM

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/
For Motherboard Monitor.

Is it shutting down with a blue screen or error message? If it is automatically rebooting, shut off the auto-restart:
Control Panel/System/Advanced/Startup and Recovery
uncheck auto restart

What do your event logs say?

Johanna

Posted by: Wes2000 Yesterday, 06:56 PM

I download that program and am noticing cpu temps from 44-48C under mid level loads for me. What are normal/good cpu temps?

I turned off that auto-restart and havnt had one since, but I also havnt tried pushing it yet either.

Where is the even log?

Thanks for the help smile.gif

Posted by: Wes2000 Yesterday, 09:36 PM

Okay, I was playing Americas Army when I got an AIM message and it popped out of AA to my desktop and the message. Then when I clicked back to my game (normally where the restart was happening befor) it went straight to a blue screen that said this:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Make sure hardware is configured right, and make sure you get all necesary updates for it

If it continues I should disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

Technical Info:
***STOP: 0x0000000A (0x9D086240, 0x00000002, 0x8051EC1C)

Any clues where to turn next?

Posted by: Czarina Today, 04:22 PM

Start>Admin Tools> Event Viewer

Device Manager is located in the Control Panel under System> Hardware. Look for error triangles or unknown devices.

If you have two sticks of memory, pop them out one at a time for testing purposes.

If no new clues are found in your logs, and you don't have a memory problem, better to post your topic in Hardware.

Johanna

Posted by: Wes2000 Today, 10:02 PM

Event viewer log:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Save Dump
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 6/1/2005
Time: 7:49:28 PM
User: N/A
Computer: WESTON
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000000a (0x9d086240, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x8050df62). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini060105-02.dmp.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

I think im going to take this to hardware smile.gif Thanks for the help though

edit- quoted the individual posts so its easier to read i hope

Edited by Wes2000, 01 June 2005 - 10:10 PM.

Advertisements

12matthias335

12matthias335

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Have u updated all video card drives and gotten patches for your game? Is it consistently linked with Americas Army? While your CPU temps arn't extremely dangerous (I would recommend 50C max) i would look into cooling devices. How many watts is your power supply and what's the brand?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi wes2000,

Before we can beginn to trouble shoot we need your full system specs,
cpu
motherboard
Ram, include what speed (pc 3200 ?)
power supply, make. model number and watts

List your cpu temp at idle, cpu useage 5% or less.

Rick

Wes2000

Wes2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
EPoX EP-8KDA3I Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce3 250 ATX AMD Motherboard

MSI NX6600GT-VTD128 Geforce 6600GT 128MB DDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card

SPARKLE Power Q ATX-350GU ATX 350W Power Supply

pqi POWER Series 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model MD4412UOE x2

Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

SAMSUNG Beige IDE Combo Drive Model TS-H492A/WBEH

KINGWIN K8CU-8025 80mm Ball Cooling Fan/Heatsink

Leadtek TV2000XP/EXPERT PCI Interface TV/FM Tuner Card, REMOTE

AMD Athlon 64 2800+ Newcastle 800MHz FSB Socket 754 Processor Model ADA2800AEP4AP

I usually boot up about 40C, light load (0-8% is around 44C), and high load seems to be 44-47C.

I dont know if I have the newest driver now, but when I got it I tried 2-3 drivers and this one worked the best for me. I was reading about a lot of problems with a lot of the 6600gt, but it seems a more popular card now and mabey there is a newer better driver for it if someone could point me to a good one.

edit- Yeah i have the newest updates for americas army, and this isnt specifically related to americas army, but I know that is one way to do it for sure. I have done it other ways without americas army on, but its much less frequent, generally under heavy loads and my comp starts to lag.

Let me know if this is enough :tazz: Thanks

Edited by Wes2000, 02 June 2005 - 08:02 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Replace the power supply its very low quality and does not have the amps needed to run a AMD 64 system let alone your video card. Get a name brand like Antec true 430 watt or Ernmax at least 400w.

Look at the amps on the +12v get something with at least 20 amps, Amd recomends 18 amp but most users report that 20 amps or over is best when using todays high powerd video cards

In general if you don't spend at least $60.00 US on a psu you are not getting a very good one.

Your temps are very good and are not the problem.

Rick

redpill1976

redpill1976

• Pip
  • 8 posts
hi.

im using
- palit geforce 6600gt
- MSI 865PE Neo 3 mobo
- 2x geil 1GB mem (512 (dual))
- HEC 475w PSU
- Seagate SATA HD

Im having the same problems... keeps on rebooting. I dont knwo which part of the system is messing it up.