Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Win XP ReInstall

• Please log in to reply

Kevin Cantara

Kevin Cantara

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Problem began with the XP AntiSpyware 2012 and ended with bootup error "load kernel dll needed". I removed drive and used CoolMax USB Converter Box to scan for virus's. Several virus's were removed including one that attacks MBR. Cleaned and defragged drive, reinstalled and had same bootup error. Had Dell send me an XP cd. Ended up reinstalling XP over previous install ( it deleted old Windows Folder and reinstalled new XP. System boots up fine but all previous installed programs do not show up in Start-All Programs list but they are shown in My Computer-Program Files Folder. Is it possible to get these programs registered again?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
1. Welcome to GeekstoGo

Ended up reinstalling XP over previous install ( it deleted old Windows Folder and reinstalled new XP. System boots up fine but all previous installed programs do not show up in Start-All Programs list but they are shown in My Computer-Program Files Folder.

More than likely YES

HOWEVER
In view of this

Problem began with the XP AntiSpyware 2012

and the fact that this was not a complete format and reinstall, recovering prior to that your personal data, your correct course of action now is to go to this link
http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

follow carefully the advice in the link please and create a thread in our Malware forum.
Please be patient for a reply there, as they are very busy.

If when you have a clean bill of health, the problem still remains, you may return to this thread, In fact if necessary, the Malware expert may well recommend that.

Good luck with it.
NB As an aside issue, your advice on the other thread, whilst your posts are always welcome, had already been recommended, quite a number of posts before yours.