Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two "" when typing one. [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

Thank you for reopening the topic and I'm sorry for the delay in my feedback

You're welcome and not a problem.

OK as for this new particular issue, it is outside my sphere of expertise as you know because I primarily only provide Anti-Malware support.

However please bare with me whilst I seek a second opinion from the GTG Tech Staff, thank you.

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

My apologies for the delay...

I'm afraid there is nothing else I can advise at this time apart from a reformat and reinstallation of the Windows Operating System.

I have tried my best on your behalf for over a month now but sadly as I originally suspected and mentioned in one of my first posts to your good self...Your machines actual Operating System is badly damaged beyond anything I can do/advise regardless the fact it now appears to be malware free.

Unfortunately this is the best advice I can now impart too ensure your machine works both correctly and safely again.

Zumochi

Zumochi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
That sadly was kind of what I expected.

I guess it's OK since I made backups of everything.

Well thanks for your advice anyway.

I do have one last question though: if I would install a free antivirus program, which would you recommend?

Edited by Zumochi, 30 January 2012 - 06:42 AM.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi and you're most welcome! :)

Myself I use Microsoft Security Essentials on the one machine I do have XP on, along with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Pro(though using the freeware as on-demand is fine also) and WinPatrol. Plus I use the MVPS Host File.

Another good freeware alternative is avast! Free Antivirus 6 with XP.

Note: Only ever use one Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware(spyware) application that provides real time protection/active in system memory. Otherwise a system conflict/security issue will occur and actually lesson overall online protection and reduce a machines overall performance also.

Next:

Below is some further advice...

Importance of Regular System Maintenance:

I advice you read both of the below listed topics as this will go a long way to keeping your Computer performing well.

Help! My computer is slow!

Also so is this:

What to do if your Computer is running slowly

Keep your system updated:

Microsoft releases patches for Windows and other products regularly:

• I advise you visit: http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us
  • Install the Active X
  • Once installed it will advise set Auto-Updates if not set and you then you will be able to manually check for updates also via:
  • Start >> All Programs >> Microsoft Updates
Be careful when opening attachments and downloading files:

Never open email attachments, not even if they are from someone you know. If you need to open them, scan them with your antivirus program before opening.
Never open emails from unknown senders.
Beware of emails that warn about viruses that are spreading, especially those from antivirus vendors. These email addresses can be easily spoofed. Check the antivirus vendor websites to be sure.
Be careful of what you download. Only download files from known sources. Also, avoid cracked programs. If you need a particular program that costs too much for you, try finding free alternatives on Sourceforge or Pricelessware.

Stop malicious scripts:

Windows by default allow scripts (which is VBScript and JavaScript) to run and some of these scripts are malicious. Use Noscript by Symantec or Script Defender by AnalogX to handle these scripts.

Avoid Peer to Peer software:

P2P may be a great way to get lots of seemingly freeware, but it is a great way to get infected as well. There's no way to tell if the file being shared is infected. Worse still, some worms spread via P2P networks, infecting you as well. My advice is avoid these types of software applications.

Next:

This is a very helpful/useful set of advice from Microsoft: Microsoft Safety & Security Center

Any questions? Feel free to ask, if not stay safe!

Zumochi

Zumochi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
OK.

Thanks for all your help. Too bad it didn't got 100% fixed but still thanks for the effort (can't have everything eh?). At least my PC is clean now :D

Thanks again,

Zum

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
You're welcome! :)

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.