Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Loading XP on a new out of the box hard drive

• Please log in to reply

SgtShNor

SgtShNor

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have recently finished putting together a new computer. When I turn it on I get information about the video card and then a blank screen with a cursor. Nothing else. I have tried the "F" keys but none of them respond. I am hoping the problem is not the processor. Is there anything else the problem might be?

Advertisements

12matthias335

12matthias335

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Can you give the specs? Maybe that will spark lightbulb.

SgtShNor

SgtShNor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Mother Board is a PT880 Neo with a Pentium 4 Processor 2.4 Ghz, Hitachi 90Gb hard drive, GeForce4 6600 series. The hard drive is new with nothing on it. Need any more info let me know.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
yes, please list the motherboard make and model. meantime, first thing to check is the clear cmos jumper. some motherboards ship with the jumper there set to clear or reset.
unplug the PC. ground yourself by touching something metal in the case before you touch the mobo or any components. find the battery for the cmos (bios) on the board. right near it should be three little headers, labeled clear cmos, or reset cmos, etc. the jumper should be over pins 1 & 2 for normal operation. if you needed to reset the cmos for any reason, you would move the jumper to pins 2 & 3 for 10-20 seconds, then back to 1&2.
so the board may have shipped with the jumper on 2&3. set it to 1&2 if that is the case.

if it is currently on 1&2, go ahead and jumper it to 2&3, wait 20 seconds, then reset to 1&2.

in either case, this should allow it to boot into bios, unless something is wrong with the bios chip itself.

SgtShNor

SgtShNor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well I tried what you suggested and it didn't work. Looks like I need to make a trip to my local Fry's. (Oh darn, whatever shall I do :tazz: , lol) Thanks for the help. I'll post when I can finalize everything.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
sounds like the bios chip has problems. since you just bought it, exchange it for a new one.
a good test when building a new system is to load up the cpu and heatsink+fan, ram, and video card if needed, then booting up. you should be able to get to bios.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
You can lso remove the battery from the motherboard for about minute.

Just in case you didnt try the right jumper :tazz: