Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS .Net Framework 1.1 - 4 Necessary?

• Please log in to reply

joseph456

joseph456

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
I was wondering if it was necessary for me to retain any/all of the MS Net Framework programs/updates on my system. I do not seem to have any programs that need it. I recently uninstalled .Net Framework 4.

Also - is there any reason why the installed program dates for Revo Installer are all suddenly read as 10.13.11?

Thanks.

Edited by joseph456, 13 December 2011 - 08:58 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Depends whether you use software that uses .net Framework or not.
If you do, you need those runtimes.

Many programs available on the internet use .Net framework as their base. ATI Graphics Cards use it for one thing for the Catalyst Control, for example. It does no harm if you leave it be.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

I was wondering if it was necessary for me to retain any/all of the MS Net Framework programs/updates on my system. I do not seem to have any programs that need it. I recently uninstalled .Net Framework 4.

It is in broad terms important and in some cases vital to retain some of them.
Indeed some cannot be removed as they are inherent to the Operating system and installed when the operating system is installed.

That is why, if you go to Add/Remove programs you will NOT see on the list some of the Net Framework installations.

Did you uninstall Net Framework 4 using Add/remove programs.

See this if you really wish to clean up the complete Net Framework 4 installation.
http://blogs.msdn.co...07/8108332.aspx

Establish a restore point before you use the Tool.
The tool is here on this link
http://blogs.msdn.co...28/8904493.aspx

ENSURE you select the correct entry when using the tool.

As Neil Jones as so correctly said

It does no harm if you leave it be.

and indeed as I have said a number of times on your other threads, providing you have used the correct procedure for uninstalling - ie: the programs OWN uninstaller OR the Add.Remove programs in Control Panel and NOT simply deleted the program folders and files, then UNLESS you experience problems attributable to the remaining fragments of the program - LEAVE IT ALONE.

It will NOT do any harm, but your constant search, albeit with the best of intentions to find and remove such fragments is in my opinion a receipe for CAUSING problems.

In relation to your second query re REVO - I have NO idea. - except is your system time and date correct

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
I uninstalled .NET Framework 4 using Add/Remove Programs.

Regarding REVO - System Time and Date is accurate. Not sure why REVO has reset all the dates or what to do about it.

On another note - not wanting to start another thread I am having a minor issue with different icons showing up when I view my Office Desktop (See first photo) and then when I review it remotely. The icons are different and I am not sure why. They used to be the same until I was having an icon problem with the desktop and reset the icons remotely using Tweak UI. Not a big problem but annoying.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by joseph456, 14 December 2011 - 07:36 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You will, I think hopefully know from my previous posts on your threads, that this is NOT in any way other than the most genuine of explanations.

I am very busy with other threads.

I do not at the moment have time to assist you. I replied briefly in the first instance ONLY to ensure you knew it was not advisable to uninstall ALL Net.Framework installations.

May I suggest you wait for a reply from someone else.

As an aside issue - I do not remember the ICON problem on the rather long thread I assisted you with.

Good luck with it.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Totally understand. Not a big problem - just an annoying one. I was thinking maybe someone has an easy or obvious answer that I am missing.

Thanks for the prompt response and the help you provide. Hope you have a good holiday!

Edited by joseph456, 14 December 2011 - 09:50 PM.