Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Adobe Flash Player and Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

minaki

minaki

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I can't download Adobe Flash Player. Everytime I start the download process from the Adobe site, it gets to 12% complete and then displays "download timeout".

Advertisements

minaki

minaki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Things I have done:

-made sure I didn't have a previous version (so no need to un-install)
-temporarily disabled my virus protection (the Adobe site said that it might be an issue)
-downloaded directly from the Adobe site, the 32-bit version (that's what my computer is)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo

Although you say you do not have a previous version still run this please
http://kb2.adobe.com...1/tn_14157.html

Please ensure you download the correct one - 32 bit or 64 bit.
Windows XP - 32 or 64 bit

Go to this link and ENSURE you have the correct one.
http://get.adobe.com.../?promoid=BUIGP
For your browser and your version of windows
eg the line if you have a different.

UNCHECK the offer of the AVG

Disable your anti-virus and if NOT windows firewall your firewall. ONLY on that download
Download NOW

When download is complete .
Run installer

DO NOT please forget the A/V and Firewall re commission.

minaki

minaki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for your reply. This is going to sound extra stupid, but I can't figure out how to disable my firewall. I'm not running the Windows one, we have Tiny Firewall Pro.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

this is going to sound extra stupid

Not one little bit.
There are no stupid questions, only - but NOT thankfully on GeekstoGo - STUPID answers.

I will have to look I do not know that Firewall. Try it without disabling the firewall - but generally speaking you open the Firewall and presumably there will be an option of disable or turn off. - or try through Control Panel, Security

I have had a look Tiny Personal Firewall as SUCH in other words the original FIREWALL only marketed by Tiny Software is STILL available as a download from a number of sites, but as far as I can ascertain is no longer supported and due to the age of the last release - I personally would not use it.

Tiny Software continued to develop a software firewall solution called Tiny Firewall v6 however, this product was not based on the original Tiny Personal Firewall. On December 17, 2004 it was announced that it would be released as Tiny Personal Firewall 2005

On June 27, 2005 Tiny Software was acquired by Computer Associates since then their CA personal firewall was promoted as being "based on Tiny Software technology"

In 2011 CA sold its antivirus properties to Updata Partners, which spun the division off as http://www.totaldefense.com/home.aspx

minaki

minaki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I uninstalled Tiny Firewall and reverted to using the Windows Firewall. I ran the Adobe uninstaller, double checked that I am running a 32-bit system, then disabled the Windows Firewall as well as my AVG. Went to the Adobe site and attempted to install the 32-bit Windows version of Flash Player. Unfortunately, same message, the download timed out at 12%. Any further suggestions? Really appreciate your help btw!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please post the make and full model of the computer if it is branded ie: a Dell, HP etc.

Please also go Windows Update and see if any update that is available will download and install.
If you do not have automatic updating or some variant of that so that you are aware when updates are available, check that you have NO Critical updates required.
If you have download and see if those will install.

After that please do this.
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others).

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive

PLEASE ONLY RUN THE OVERDRIVE analysis
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!" OR YOU CAN RUN THE TEST ANON. without signing up. - you will see that at the end of that screen. The results will still be saved long enough for me to look at them.
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

NB DO NOT FORGET TO re enable AVG and your Firewall

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Can I suggest one thing on some computer I had the same problem and fixed it by saving the flash player .exe to my desktop instead of running it directly from the web.

Download it (save it to your desktop instead of running it) once downloaded close your browser then double click on the .exe file on your desktop.

Hope this will help

minaki

minaki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I tried saving the exe to my desktop but same problem.

Here is the link to the PC Pitstop test results. Definitely don't have a high performance machine lol. Let me know what you think.

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24724649

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Sorry you have had to wait a couple of days, busy with normal home life and have been busy on a long thread here on G2G

• Start Internet Explorer
  • Select Tools | Internet Options | General
  • Select Settings... under Temporary Internet files.
  • Select Automatically.
  • Click OK on both the Settings window and on the Internet options window to accept the changes.
2. Uninstall it - please it is way out of date.
Adobe Download Manager 1.2 (Remove Only)10/28/04Adobe Download Manager 1.2 (Remove Only)10/28/04

3. Adobe Reader 7.0
(7.0.0)Adobe Systems Incorporated10/18/11
Check for updates please.

Then try this please
http://kb2.adobe.com..._more_solutions

but I suggest you start from the top - although you seem to have covered some of it.

Advertisements

minaki

minaki

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Success! Thanks so much for your help (and patience)! Really appreciate it.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You are welcome, thanks for posting the result.

A number of people do not even bother to do so.

As a matter of interest what was it, ActiveX

Also from Pitstop you have 22Gb allocated to system restore., unless you know that you need so many restore points, there is no advantage in that situation and indeed some disadvantages.
See this please
http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24724649

There may also be merit in updating the driver for your network adaptor
Network adaptersMarvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Adapter, Copper RJ-45Marvell 4/23/04 2004 dated driver.

Paul Sadlik

Paul Sadlik

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
You need to download chrome browser before downloading as chrome browser already includes Adobe® Flash® Player built-in. Google Chrome will automatically update when new versions of Flash Player are available.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Success! Thanks so much for your help (and patience)! Really appreciate it.

minaki has already solved the problem with my previous post.
However thank you for the contribution and welcome to GeekstoGo

Kuldeep S Walia

Kuldeep S Walia

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This link helped me

http://ezref.info/Do...ash Player.html