Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows won't boot. Black screen with mac os address (?) and blink

• Please log in to reply

yushbonuli

yushbonuli

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an old 2005 HP Pavilion, running windows XP. I am a beginner at computers for the most part, but I have done some research.. mostly though I'm ignorant. I know I can get into the bios, but I can't get XP to boot... not in safe mode, can't even get to system recovery. It's like the hard drive isn't there any more. I think a trojan crashed it. No noise, not a hard drive physical problem. I can still get to the BIOS, presumably because it's not on the hard drive? I don't have a boot disk, just system recovery disks. It gets to a black screen with a mac os address with some numbers I think and a blinking cursor that won't let me type anything. Never had a BSOD or anything, it just started throwing errors and I rebooted it a couple times trying to fix it with some malware programs and lost programs each time I rebooted, and then the next time, it went to this black screen.I would really appreciate some help. Thanks!

Advertisements