Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Yesterday, Yahoo acct hacked, today computer freezes at desktop

• Please log in to reply

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
I received the file, thanks. One was just contained a small bit of encrypted code, so possibly malware, though useless without something else running it. That kb913800.exe is a curious one, though does seem to be a legit MS update file. Part of this, though in the wrong place, and has a different MD5 (a unique number each file has). The code in both versions match though, and either way, not an issue, removed or not.

"Win32/InstallCore.D" ESET located in that System Restore location suggests to me the adware CNET now bundles with the downloads from it's site. Not sure if they are needing money, or just greedy, but basically CNET is now a malware download site, and will soon gain the reputation that deserves. Don't see in your installs list any of what it's downloads do try to add, so perhaps you were wise and just declined whatever they offered.

No active malware being picked up, so before we consider just cleaning up what our work added to your system, are there any problems we still need to address?

Advertisements

Pat Williams

Pat Williams

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
No, things seem to be working pretty well right now.

I'm sorry to hear that CNET is distributing adware :(

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Strange to me, given how popular they are, and many programs, like Malwarebytes, use their services for their downloads. See this info - seems to be backfiring, as it should. Still better to avoid them for now.

The logs show you have Java 7 installed. Bit curious as to when you installed that, as Java is still only offering 6 Update 30 as their primary download today. I have to assume you chose to download the early release developers version. Those are considered beta, and as Java will very soon make their newer 7 version as their current download, I would suggest you uninstall this somewhat beta version, and still just install 6 Update 30 (here) (careful - they have been slipping an option to include Ask adware/spyware with their installs). Then you will know any odd glitches are not due to you running a beta program.

One other update you need is Flash Player - download that from here (be sure to uncheck the option for that near useless McAfee scanner).

--------------

And you can now remove what our work added there.

Eset, if you don't plan to use it again, uninstalls through Add/Remove Programs.

You can also at this time delete the files/folders of the tools we used. To assist with some of that run OTL again. This will help by automatically removing some of the tools we used.

Just click CleanUp, and select Yes. When it finishes removing some of the tools and files we used there just agree to the reboot.

----------

Then a good idea is to reset the System Restore. To do this, right-click My Computer and select Properties. Click the System Restore tab in the window that appears, and check the box that says "Turn off System Restore on all drives" and click Apply.

You will be asked if you are sure, click Yes. This will delete the restore points. Then click OK in the Properties window and reboot your computer.

When your desktop appears, right-click My Computer and select Properties once more. Uncheck the "Turn off System Restore..." box and click Apply. OK.

In addition, I like to recommend reviewing the information Here to make sure you stay malware free.

Pat Williams

Pat Williams

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Well, I can't get OTL to work. It freezes at the "deleteself" part -- after it asks to reboot, the computer never does -- once I let it run all night and it still was there. Also, I can't print anything anymore.

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Did you disable security software while doing that OTL Cleanup step. Is the printer wireless? Changes to the router, if that is the case, may require you go to the printer control panel and re-establish that network connection.

Pat Williams

Pat Williams

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Got OTL sorted, still can't print. Not sure how to fix this, I've done all the troubleshooters and can't find the issue.

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
How did you get the OTL issue resolved please? For the printing issue, can you just uninstall the program through Add/Remove Programs, reboot, then run the CD and reinstall/re-setup the printer?

Pat Williams

Pat Williams

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I turned off my antivirus briefly and was able to run OTL.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software (from HP -- I don't have the CD), have checked the ports, changed the cables, run self-tests on the printer, restarted the printer, re-set the printer, rebooted the computer about 20 times at least, still cannot print. It printed fine before.

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
What printer make and model please, and are you doing wired or wireless? With a router reset some of the network settings would have changed, so assuming wireless printer, do you have wireless security enabled on the router (need a WPA or WEP key to login)?

Pat Williams

Pat Williams

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
It's an HP OfficeJet J4540 All-in-One printer. Not wireless.

Advertisements

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Any details you can add on this not printing issue. Seems to accept the print job, but nothing happens etc.?

To make sure of some of the standard issues, go to Start - Printers and Faxes, and make sure your printer is the default - has a black check on it's icon. If not, right click it, and select "Set as Default Printer".

Go to Start - Run, type services.msc and press OK.

In that display locate and double-click Print Spooler. Make sure it is set to Automatic, and Started. If not, use the dropdown to change the Startup type, and the Start button to start it. Then Apply/OK, and close that display.

If you did make any of the above changes, reboot and check the printer then.

Pat Williams

Pat Williams

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
None of those things needed changing. I did the HP Print Diagnostic and there's no connectivity, although I've checked all the ports and cables and they work fine. The printer doesn't seem to see the print job at all.

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Look here under the Updates option. Most seem to post-date the installer they provide. "Critical Update to Correct a PC to Printer Communication Issue" especially. Be sure to reboot after installing them.

Pat Williams

Pat Williams

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
It says:

This update does not support any of the HP device drivers that you have on your PC. You do not need this software update.

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Hmmm - and they are dated after the install updates as well. In that list of HP downloads, did you choose and install the full, "HP Officejet Full Feature Software and Driver" option, or just the "HP Officejet Basic Print and Scan Driver" one? The full one is the preferred one.