Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BSOD REINSTALLING WINDOWS XP

• Please log in to reply

blinkin420

blinkin420

• Pip
  • 1 posts
HEY MY FATHER HAS A DUAL CORE 2 WINDOWS XP LAPTOP. recently he had some nasty virus on there and im tired of playing with it. so i was going to format the hard drive and reinstall windows... no biggy right? wrong. when i boot from the xp cd everything goes okay, i see the text scrolling at the bottom of the screen loading stuff up. then i see "starting up windows" at the bottom or something like that, it doesn't get to/go to the page where i can choose to repair or move forward with deleting partitions... as soon as i see that windows text at the bottom the comp BSOD on me. i have tried it multiple times now with different xp cd's and still the same thing. i have another way to fix it but i don't yet feel like throwing the comp into the woods. so i thought i would ask if anyone heard of this before. any help you could give would be great.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Make and model of computer?
How much memory does it have?
Do you have anything external plugged in while doing the reinstall? If so remove it until the install is done.

What is the info on the BSOD screen? You can take a picture with a digital camera and upload it here in your next post. That may help figure out what is going on.