Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RAM Memory Missing? [EASY]

• Please log in to reply

Tony Stovall

Tony Stovall

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
It seems like this will be something easy to solve but I can't seem to figure it out.
I've had this desktop (Windows XP) for a long time, I have a Windows 7 great laptop, but when it's not available I use this. So recently I decided to restore the computer with its installation CD, I've did it before, I know I did it right. And a while back like 2 years. I started playing FPS games, they loaded slow. So I installed 2 GBs of RAM worked fine. Up until now. Probably my 5th restore since then (Don't ask why)
I installed my drivers correctly, and my RAM only says : "RAM MEMORY 256 MB - What the...? It was always 2GB. What's going on?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
How much memory shows in BIOS Setup? If it also shows 25MB then power off, remove the memory modules and reinsert them one at a time, making sure they seat firmly.Power on and check BIOS Setup again.

If still showing 256, power down again and remove one of the memory modules then power up and check it.
Do the same with just the other one.

If you get the wrong value with one of the modules then it is defective and needs to be replaced.

Tony Stovall

Tony Stovall

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks - Edit

Edited by Tony Stovall, 14 December 2011 - 07:31 PM.

Tony Stovall

Tony Stovall

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

How much memory shows in BIOS Setup? If it also shows 25MB then power off, remove the memory modules and reinsert them one at a time, making sure they seat firmly.Power on and check BIOS Setup again.

If still showing 256, power down again and remove one of the memory modules then power up and check it.
Do the same with just the other one.

If you get the wrong value with one of the modules then it is defective and needs to be replaced.

I forgot to say, First: Checked the BIOS - BIOS say 2.0 RAM - Then, I "recarded" . Sorry. So yes I have performed these steps.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
If you right click on My Computer and select Properties, what does that show for memory?

Tony Stovall

Tony Stovall

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
This was the way I was checking my RAM - Here I'll copy paste my specs I guess.
RAM is 256MB as I said.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name USER-8F8ZAOSPMM
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Dell DV051
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~2792 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A03, 10/8/2005
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name USER-8F8ZAOSPMM\User
Time Zone Central Standard Time

Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 34.24 MB <---- Available PHYSICAL MEMORY is ONLY 35 MB? IS THAT NORMAL?

Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

Page File Space 2.23 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Yes, that's normal. This is how much is installed and useable for your computer:

Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB

The rest is being used, leaving 34.24 MB currently unused.

You need to look at your startup processes and services via msconfig and see what is starting when you boot the computer.

How does it lookif you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something or things is starting at boot that is causing the problem.

Advanced startup options - XP
Advanced startup options - Vista
Advanced startup options - Windows 7

Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem

These are good tutorials on using msconfig in XP, Vista or Windows 7:
How to use msconfig in Windows XP
How to use msconfig in Windows Vista
How to use msconfig in Windows 7

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if it runs better with more memory available.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit or culprits that are using up your memory.

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.

Tony Stovall

Tony Stovall

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'm not exactly sure what the culprit could be, sorry for late reply.
Also, I have something to add. Usually when I reinstall Windows XP, no service pack is installed. So I have to manually install it. Well this time SERVICE PACK 1 (Windows XP SP1a) could not be installed. It a gave me some sort of connection error, like Setup could not connect to domain
(then it gave a address with microsoft included)
So I just proceeded by skipping SP1a, and went on to Service Pack 2. No Problems with install of SP2 and SP3.