Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! New build troubleshooting

• Please log in to reply

jdparham

jdparham

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I just got back from afghanistan and had all the parts for my new build waiting on me. I have a MSI N560gtx motherboard and a rosewill Hive-650 power supply. I'm pretty sure the problem is with one of these components. I put the system togather and when I press the power button, the motherboard lights up and the fans turn for a second and then nothing. I stripped everything down and took the motherboard out of the case and plugged it into the psu by itself and it still does the same thing. Do you think my motherboard or psu is bad? please help.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Since Rosewill does not have a good reputation for quality PSUs, that would be my first guess. In any event, swapping in a spare PSU would certainly be my first troubleshooting step too.

That said, do make sure you have all the connections properly made. Note most motherboards require 2 or 3 power connections. Some motherboards will not fire if they don't sense a CPU fan so make sure that is connected to the CPU FAN header.

jdparham

jdparham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Alright that issue is resolved. Now i'm having problems setting up windows7. My wireless keyboard and mouse isn't working in the windows setup screen. It works in the boot menu but won't work there. Is there any way around this?

jdparham

jdparham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Nvm. Plugged the keyboard into another slot and it worked

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Alright that issue is resolved.

Not so fast bud! This is a place of learning for everyone. We share what we know, you share what you know. What did you do to resolve the PSU/motherboard issue? Others may be able to learn from your experiences/mistakes too. :o

Nvm. Plugged the keyboard into another slot and it worked

Now that's better! ;) I always use a standard wired keyboard and mouse to install and setup Windows. Windows already knows how to communicate directly with them. But for wireless keyboards and mice it must install and configure additional sets of drivers. The USB ports, then the Bluetooth adapter, then the wireless keyboard - in that order. So much is going on during setup, timings can get messed up as some things take longer than others. You probably could have rebooted and it would have sorted itself out (properly configured the drivers) without changing ports. By changing ports, you did the same by forcing Windows to reconfigure - no big deal if the you don't mind which port you use.

jdparham

jdparham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
oh yeah, sorry I didn't post the fix. I was using my phone to post and didn't want to write a whole lot since my computer was obviously not working, plus I was kind of embarrassed. I ended up getting your first post on the way back from the computer store. I had just bought a new psu and motherboard to try and troubleshoot my problem. Then I got your reply and realized that I hadn't plugged in the 8-pin power cord to my board, so it was a real simple fix.

Well, now that that's fixed I still have one last problem. I've got everything setup and it's all working with exception to my front audio jack. It won't even detect that I plugged them in. I tried googling a fix and found that a lot of people are having this issue in win 7. Any help on that? Oh, and I put the specs for my new rig in my sig.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Oh, and I put the specs for my new rig in my sig.

Thanks. Note you still need to mention that when seeking help because many people have several computer or may be helping a friend or relative.

I tried googling a fix and found that a lot of people are having this issue in win 7.

Well, not sure it has anything to do with Windows 7. The drivers are created by the hardware makers. Make sure the front panel connector is properly connected to the motherboard's header you installed all the latest drivers.

jdparham

jdparham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have the latest drivers and it is plugged in correctly. Any other idea's? I'm pretty sure it's not broken, because lots of people are having this problem

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
So what happens when you plug in headphones? Normally, the main speakers should shut off and all the audio goes to the headphones.

jdparham

jdparham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Absolutely nothing happens. Also, a new problem has come up. My mobo came with a usb 3.0 adapter. Problem is when i use it, as soon as i plug a device into it i get a system_service_exception bsod (3b). I used windows 7 check for solutions and it toldme to update the driver. I didthis but it didn't fix anything

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
If you are 100% sure all the cables are properly connected and that you have no extra standoffs or foreign objects under the motherboard, you have installed all the latest motherboard drivers, then it might be time to contact MSI or the motherboard vendor for a replacement. If me, after ensuring I connected everything properly, I might reset the BIOS but if still having problems, I would seek a new motherboard.

jdparham

jdparham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yeah the cables are connected right. Correct me if i'm wrong but its just one cable that plugs into the audio connecter on the mobo. I hate to start an rma process just for that. I can live without a front audio jack, but its irritating to spend that much money on a build and it not work. What about the usb thing? Any thoughts on how to fix that?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Correct me if i'm wrong but its just one cable that plugs into the audio connecter on the mobo.

Unfortunately, There is no mandatory standard on this - only recommendations. So you need to study your manuals and compare the case wiring to the motherboard connections. Note on page 2-15 of your motherboard manual, the Front Panel Audio Connector shows 9 pins.

As for the USB problem, does it crash with every device you connect?

jdparham

jdparham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
It only seems to happen when I connect my iphone 4. My keyboard and mouse are connected via usb, as well as a xbox controller I use to play games.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Then it may be a problem with the iPhone. Perhaps it is drawing too much power - maybe trying to charge its battery. I would get a powered (comes with an external power supply) USB hub and see if that works.