Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of friendly volunteers serve up answers and support. Get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account Login to Account

Vista starts to log in screen, then reboots

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Hannah Sams

Hannah Sams

• Pip
  • 2 posts
2009 dell xps (630i or 730x - not sure) with windows vista. not sure of total hard drive or free space at this time. this is a desktop computer. virus protection is webroot complete internet security. there are 2 cd rom drives, and we use IE9.

there were no power outages, or damage to the computer. it is a desktop. it worked fine on saturday, 12/10/11. we shut the computer down at the end of the day and when my husband tried to start it on sunday, 12/11/11...there were problems. he couldn't read the message fast enough before it automatically went away and went to a black screen. today is the 4th day that i've been trying to get it to work.

vista starts to the log in screen, then reboots. I've attempted to "recover at startup" with no luck. it did tell me that there were changes made and that it would attempt to start up, if there were more problems, the computer would restart mutliple times while attempting to fix the problem. The computer now loads to the windows log in screen and then goes dark and restarts. i have watched it restart probably about 30 times. the cursor shows in the password field and i CAN type in it, but it goes no further. The only screens that I CAN get to are setup, recover startup. I cannot get into safe mode.

not sure if the BIOS clock could be the problem, but I've seen that come up in a lot of the other forums where the computer wouldn't start correctly. in the setup screen, the BIOS clock states sometime in 2008. i tried to scroll down to that area, but i don't know how. it skips that line.

not sure if this is related to malware/spyware....i just really need help. if this case isn't related, please send me to someone that can help.

thank you for your time and help in advance!

Edited by Hannah Sams, 14 December 2011 - 10:53 PM.

Advertisement

Hannah Sams

Hannah Sams

• Pip
  • 2 posts
thank you for your time with this case. i finally got the system to restore and the computer started normally. thank you again.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

GeekU Mammoth

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,026 posts
Thank you for the courtesy of informing us. :)

--------------

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Advertisement