Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor IBM Thinkpad R51

• Please log in to reply

JohnGo

JohnGo

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I want to say thank you to GeeksToGo for your help previously on this site with my other computer.

The problem I'm having now is with an IBM Think pad R51 15" diagonal screen. First let me say that from lots of research it sounds like it might be the LCD inverter.
During boot up, the screen won't stay on until Windows comes up. After it has time to finish booting up, I can see the desktop icons using a flashlight. I can then take a small screwdriver and press the little recessed button that the lid presses as it is closed and the screen will come on again for about 2 seconds and it starts all over again.

I can connect the laptop to an external monitor and all works well.
I ordered an inverter that looks identical to the original. It was supposed to be for an R51 ThinkPad but when I compared the p/n and FRU #, the two inverters are not the same. I changed out the inverters but the screen will not stay on... Is it likely that I received a bad inverter or either the variation in the part numbers is the problem?

The numbers on my original LCD inverter are: p/n 91P 7299
FRU 91P 7336 EC J18008.

The numbers on the replacement inverter that I ordered and installed are: p/n 39T0369 FRU# 39T0368 EC J76566K.

Thanks for your time,
JohnGo

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I can see the desktop icons using a flashlight

That is the telltale sign of a bad inverter OR the CCFL (the florescent tube) - or both. Assuming that is a compatible inverter and assuming you did remove and replace the inverter correctly without any collateral damage, then I would suspect the bulb. They are often both automatically replaced at the same time just because it is difficult to know which is bad until you replace one or the other.

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
OK, good information. I might consider replacing the whole screen if I can locate a used one with a warranty instead of replacing the parts unless you advise otherwise. Thanking you in advance for your help.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
If me, I would go for a bulb. A new screen is likely to cost quite a bit more.

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I'm having trouble locating an inverter with the exact part# and FRU# and seems like the flourescent bulb is equally as difficult.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Yeah, I am not having much luck either. The problem is all the aftermarket suppliers have their own numbering systems. You may need to contact a supplier like Laptop LCD Converter.com and ask. They do guarantee compatibility.

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I reviewed their website and I think you have me started in the right direction. I will get back on this project in a couple of weeks and see how it goes. Thanks again for your advice.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Please keep us posted.