Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

black screen on startup

• Please log in to reply

Adrianna Conte

Adrianna Conte

• Pip
  • 0 posts
When i startup my computer i get a black screen instead of my desktop. I can hear the windows chime but no picture. I went into safe mode and disabled the display adapters and went back to normal mode and my desktop came back. Then i updated the drivers and it worked then a couple days later the black screen happened again. So i just disabled the drivers again and now my computer works but the graphics aren't great. I don't know alot about computers at all and i have no clue what to do next. I watch alot of movies on my computer so i would like to have good graphics. What is my next step. do i have to buy a new video card? Please help and be detailed cuz i'm new to this stuff.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi and :welcome: Adrianna Conte
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable others to better assist you.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Updated drivers for the video card or the monitor?
What video card do you have?
Have you tried the next older driver as sometimes the newest is not really the best to use.
From your description you are getting post screens but when it logs into windows you lose the video correct?