Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setup for three local area networks for laptop

• Please log in to reply

DonChoudhry

DonChoudhry

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

I have two local area networks at office which I often need to switch to and I have another local area setup at my home. I have a laptop with one ethernet interface. How can I make three different connections in "network connections" so whatever cable I insert, the laptop detects which one of three local area network connection it is and I dont have to change the IPs and Gateways everytime.

Regards

Edited by DonChoudhry, 01 June 2005 - 10:59 PM.

Advertisements

Mrcheeks

Mrcheeks

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
I beleive if you plug in each ethernet cord and set the laptop up for each LAN individually, then it will remember the settings even after you connect to a different LAN. So all you need to do is plug the ethernet cord in. Im not positive that this is how it works, but i know that i have a laptop on a LAN at my home and after unplugging the cable and reconnecting it, the laptop remembered the settings and nothing changed.

Good Luck

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi DonChoudhry

Hmmhmm, I think probably the easiest way to quickly set this up is to create 3 (if you need 3) different Hardware profiles for your laptop. You will be able to change IP Addy and Gateways for each profile. When you boot up, a screen will ask you what profile you want, select the one for your location and finish booting.