Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Security 2012 and Ping.exe [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Yes toggle to false - what version of FF do you have ?

As the general concenus appears to be :
Uninstall the current firefox
Install the latest version
Cured

Advertisements

knicksjets

knicksjets

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I had FF 8 if I remember correctly. Which new FF version should I download? FF 9 or FF 10 Aurora?

knicksjets

knicksjets

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Also I received this Microsoft Error Report with this message:

"Some expected errors have happened to software you recently used. You were not asked to send these error reports at the time they occurred. To help improve the software you use, Microsoft is interested in learning more about these errors. We have created reports about these errors for you to send us. The reports will be treated as confidential and anonymous."

The reports span across 3 days from 12/16 to 12/19 today and involve the Application: Software Update Microsoft.Net Framework 2.0.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I would go for 9 initially

Netframework is one of the worst elements that MS has ever come out with

Could you check to see if there are any updates for it at windows updates

knicksjets

knicksjets

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I decided to download Microsoft.Net Framework 4.0 because one of it's requirements is the XP Service Pack 3, which you told me to download last weekend. Should I proceed and run the installation of Net Framework or should I get another version?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Yep take v4 and then see if windows updates has some security updates for it

knicksjets

knicksjets

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
So I installed it but where should I find the security updates? Also, what is a good virus scan program that I can use to protect my computer?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Go here to check for the update status

Does McAfee not suit your needs ?

There are several free antivirus programmes, links below in my order of preference :

Avast
Avira
AVG

How is the computer behaving now ?

knicksjets

knicksjets

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
My thinking for something other than McAfee stems from the fact that I got the XP Security 2012 and Ping.exe viruses, and the antivirus program didn't even block it or anything. Would you recommend that I keep on using McAfee and update it or one of the antivirus programs listed above? And my computer is behaving perfectly fine now thank god haha

knicksjets

knicksjets

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I did the Automatic Updates process and following programs didn't install. Considering what I've done in the past, like downloading .NET Framework 4.0, I don't have to worry about what's written below right?:

Security Update for .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2530095)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2416468)
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Security Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB982865)
Security Update for .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2478656)
Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP

Also, should I update IE? When prompted, I decided not to install.

Advertisements

knicksjets

knicksjets

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
And I just got this again:
"Some unexpected errors have happened to software you recently used. You were not asked to send these error reports at the time they occurred."
And it's for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Grr netframework.... The only way around this is to uninstall them all and then reinstall, 'tis a nightmare - There is a Microsoft tutorial on how to fix it here

I would update to IE8 after you install IE7 as they are integral to windows and add extra security

Reference McAfee, no antivirus is 100%. I have seen this infection with all antivirus programmes. The malware changes so fast the the AV makers are forever playing catchup

How are things running at the moment ?

knicksjets

knicksjets

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Everything seems to be running fine at the moment. Do you think I should alter the Netframework? Seems a little risky.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
To be honest if you do not use any programmes that require netframework then I would leave it

knicksjets

knicksjets

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Other than that, everything is working fine. Thank you once again for all your help! Happy Holidays!