Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bios cant detect HD

• Please log in to reply

audionet

audionet

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I need help. Bios cant detect my 40gb Western Digital drive on a Diamond Micronics C400 (slot 1) motherboard. Bios hangs when performing an auto-detect on the BIOS. I changed the HD to a 20gb drive but was able to detect it. I changed the jumpers (setting it to cable select and even tried to remove the jumper) but still, the BIOS cant detect it. I tried to bypass the auto-detection by setting the cdrom as a boot up but it never booted up on cd.
Moreover, I ran the WD 40gb drive on a different motherboard and it ran fine. Can someone help me out on this?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

40gb Western Digital drive on a Diamond Micronics C400 (slot 1) motherboard

Is this an IDE or SETA drive? RAID?

In theory, a fresh hard drive (fdisked and formatted, of course) and a clean installation of XP should be cake. XP should install, detect all hardware, load drivers, and be showing a desktop with some icons.

If not, then are you trying something a bit out of the ordinary, like RAID, SCSI, SATA/150, etc? These may require special drivers to be loaded from a floppy at a crucial moment during the installation process. Watch for the message about third-party
drivers.

Ron

audionet

audionet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It is an IDE drive. And the main issue is that the WD drive cannot be detected by the BIOS. Whenever I try to auto-detect it, it just simply hangs up and never even responds to any key. I tried a different drive, a seagate 20 gb hard drive and it was detected right away.

And The same WD 40 gb drive works fine on the different (previous )motherboard.

Destructo Roboto

Destructo Roboto

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Perhaps that motherboardis incapable of detecting anything40 g or biger, check out ur website if u know it , if not an u really want the extra space, pehrhaps if u buy one of those usb/lan connected hard/cd/dvd/ drive cases off of ebay u couold place it in that an use it as a storage bay while ur 20 gb harddrive is placed in the computers owndrivebay.

audionet

audionet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
@destructo roboto
Yes. I agree. It is possibly an issue with the 32gb barrier because the motherboard was purchased last 1998. I checked on the Western Digital website and they recommended I update BIOS or run their utility program so the BIOS can detect HD.