Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphic Card Compatibility with Motherbord

• Please log in to reply

Hendrix Dude

Hendrix Dude

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I own an Biostar P4M900-M4 Motherboard and i want to upgrade my graphics card to an MSI NVIDIA 8400GS.My quiestion is: if my motherbord runs with DDR2 RAM and the graphics card is DDR3, will it work?

this are the spects from the graphics card:
VC MSI Nvidia GeForce 8400GS
PCI Express
DDR3 1GB
64bit
DX10.1
520/1000MHz
Dual -Link DVI
HDMI Suport
HEATSINK

and the spects from the Motherbord:
Chipset: VIA P4M900 / VT8237A; MAIN: CPU SUPPORT: Intel Pentium 4 Processor; Intel Celeron D Processor; FSB: Support FSB 533/800MHz; MEMORY: Support DDR2 533/667 MHz; 2 x DDR2 DIMM Memory Slot; Max. Supports up to 4GB Memory;’ EXPANSION SLON; 2 x PCI Slots ; 1 x PCI-E x1 Slot ; 1 x PCI-E x16 Slot ; STORAGE: 2 x SATA Connectors ; 2 x IDE Connector ; Support SATA RAID: 0,1; USB: 4 x USB 2.0 Port ; 2 x USB 2.0 Header ; LAN: Realtek RTL8201CL - 10/100 PHY; INTEGRATED VIDEO: VIA Chrome9 HC IGP, On Board Graphic Max. Memory Share Up to 256MB; CODEC: Realtek ALC861VD 6-Channel HD Audio.

My current Configuration is :
Machine name: DUDE1
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ECS
System Model: P4M900T-M2
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel® Celeron® CPU 3.06GHz
Memory: 958MB RAM
Page File: 577MB used, 1833MB available
Windows Dir: D:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
ard name: VIA Chrome9 HC IGP Family
Manufacturer: S3 Graphics Co., Ltd.
Chip type: VIA Chrome9 HC IGP
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3371&SUBSYS_19750908&REV_01
Display Memory: 64.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor

In advance I thank you.

Advertisements

muhib1996

muhib1996

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Yes, it will work. Your motherboard is PCI Express x16 slot, so the graphics should be also a PCI 16 slot graphics card. Thanks.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

if my motherbord runs with DDR2 RAM and the graphics card is DDR3, will it work?

Basically, a graphics card is a separate computer. It has its own CPU (called a GPU) and dedicated RAM and it does not matter which type RAM is used where.

What does matter is the interface and according to these specs, your board supports PCIe cards so you are good there.

But what also matters is your PSU. Graphics cards are often the most power hungry devices in our computers so you MUST ensure your current PSU has the necessary horsepower and connectors to support any new card you might consider. So do you homework first. Visit the card's website and look for recommended power requirements. Note there are several 1Gb 8400GS cards so find the right one. If not specified, you may need to download the manual (a good idea anyway - so you can become familiar with the installation procedures before the card arrives). If not listed, go to a competitor card maker's site for a similar card. Or use the eXtreme PSU Calculator Lite to determine your minimum and recommended power supply unit (PSU) requirements.

Hendrix Dude

Hendrix Dude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
thanks a lot guys, i'm going to buy that graphics card and give it a try. I have now a 400w psu but i have another 650w psu doing nothing. if it doesn't work with the one i have i'll change it.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I have now a 400w psu but i have another 650w psu doing nothing. if it doesn't work with the one i have i'll change it.

Bad plan. A PSU that is not adequate or overstressed will most likely cause hard crashes and produce unstable, "dirty" power for the motherboard regulators and other connected devices to deal with. This puts added strain on those devices too and hard crashes often result in corrupt drives (failure to boot) and lost data.

I recommend you swap in the 650w BEFORE installing the new graphics card and use the 400w to test fans and drive motors and to hold down papers.

Hendrix Dude

Hendrix Dude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
took a better look,and i gae bad info,it's acually 255W mine,sorry for the bad info,the one i will swap it with is 400w.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
So 400W is the larger PSU? That is still not a lot. I found where there minimum recommended supply for the 512Mb version of that card is 300W. If yours is the 1Gb version, it will require a bit more. Your 400 should be fine either way but does not leave much wiggle room or upgrades. If it is a not a quality supply from a reputable maker, I would start budgeting for something from a good maker that is around 550 - 650W.

Hendrix Dude

Hendrix Dude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
According to this site
Minimum PSU Wattage: 221 W
Recommended PSU Wattage: 271W

With my old graphics card (Nvidia GeForce 7300GT/256mbs) who just decided to quit and broke after 3yrs of service it was
Minimum PSU Wattage: 210 W
Recommended PSU Wattage: 260W
Same PSU.

Anyway,just wanted to say this. I will post after the graphics card gets to me. I ordered it yesterday and should arrive tomorrow or on Monday. Hope it's tomorrow...

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Sounds like a plan. Please keep us posted.

Hendrix Dude

Hendrix Dude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
So it works. THank you guys. Really thanks alot.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Thanks for the followup.