Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Numereous Device Manager code 37 errors - and tried loads - any ideas?

• Please log in to reply

stucuk

stucuk

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Folks,

Son has an Acer Aspire M3910, 6 months old, with Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit.
Suddenly following a reboot a number of devices stopped working. Device Manager shows 11 items with a Code 37 error including DVD drive, monitor, LAN / WLAN card, 4 x core Intel i3 CPU's, audio controller, a couple of bus enumerators and a H57 Express Chipset LPC interface controller.
Have searched through the forums and tried the following:-

1) Checking for viruses from normal and safe mode using Sophos, MalwareBytes, AdAware and a couple of others - nothing found.
2) Change the registry to remove Upper and Lower limits to adapter entries.
3) Replacing the NDIS.SYS file with one from a different machine.
4) Checking version and size of above, are correct.
5) Reinstalling drivers from the inbuilt eRecovery tool.
6) Downloading new drivers from the supplier and installing them.
7) Rolled back to previous restore point.
8) Tried sfc /scannow at command prompt - nothing found.

All the above have made no difference whatsoever. I really don't want to rebuild the machine if I can help it but I am running out of ideas. Would be grateful for any others.

Many thanks, Stu ...

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
stucuk

Code 37 as you may have found out indicates that the driver for the device could not be initialized.

HOWEVER that does not mean that the driver is in fact - NOT he correct driver, or indeed that the driver files are corrupted, nor does it necessarily mean that the relevant registry entry is corrupted.

The approach had it have been one driver with the Code 37, would have been to uninstall the driver and reboot the computer.
OR rollback the driver.
OR if those failed, download the correct driver - Save it.
Uninstall the driver do not allow Windows to install automatically - but do so manually by selecting the saved driver.

However
In your situation, there are far too many reports to believe that it is really any causation that I have listed in my second paragraph of this post.

In view of this

Son has an Acer Aspire M3910, 6 months old

and if that computer is NEW - and only 6 months old, my best advice is to return it, under the service agreement, most likely provided when it was bought.

Even if it proves to be some undesirable software that has been installed, either intentionally, you or your son not knowing that it was undesirable - such as the latest go-faster - turn your computer into the optimum gaming machine, optimizer OR something that has been acquired without knowledge - this MAY still be your best option of a successful outcome.

I would strongly urge YOU not to attempt any suggested FIX you may find on an internet search.
For instance and please do NOT be annoyed with me advising you -

Replacing the NDIS.SYS file with one from a different machine.

NOT a good idea, especially as Windows has backups of that file and replacing it with one from another computer is unnecessary.
Without considering any implications of which one (location) it was that you replaced.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
stucuk

You started this thread on 16 Dec. and I replied the same day.
You have to date, not responded.
Would you kindly update your thread, indicating the current situation.
Thank you