Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Have I lost data

• Please log in to reply

joanelaine

joanelaine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi everyone,
sorry it's taken me so long to come back.Finally my brother sent an original XP Pro disk. My computer has XP Home but since I planned on doing a clean install I don't think that mattered. I was talking to the local technician and told him what I planned to do with my brothers disk. He advised me against using the disk because my brother stipulated that I was to use the product key on the disk, bot the product key on the sticker on my tower. He said I should use the "cut" disk that was given to me by another technician. I decided to try that and I did it this morning, a clean install. I by passed tapping the F6 key and install the drivers for RAID afterwards using the disk that came with the motherboard that was replaced over 2 years ago.
I think everything is working okay, just getting all the updates now. I couldn't believe how easy it was to do the clean install, hopefully I've done it correctly, everything seems to be working.

Because I have to send back my brothers disk would it be wrong of me to copy it, and can it be done. I'm assumng the "cut" copy my tech gave me is a copy.
Thank you,
Joan

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
You can copy an OS disk but you must have and register your own product key as in you and your brother must not use the same product key, so you are aware Microsoft will detect this when you install updates.

joanelaine

joanelaine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Well I spoke too soon, now the computer is shutting down and re starting on it's own. I found out how to turn off auto restart. I thought I would get an error message after that but nothing, just turned off. Seems to stay on longer when I have that tick in auto restart. I've tried doing a chkdsk but the only way I know is via my computer, properties tools and the option to tick for volume check. I wanted to do it via ...run, cmd and type in the r switch but after documents and settings when I type in chkdsk volume:/r it goes to the next line with owner written next to docs and settings.Can you help me with that. I am a loss and thinking of doing the whole re install again.
I'm thinking of using the disk my brother sent to me but I was worried about Microsoft doing something about that especially as my brother told me to only use his product key. Soo, if I use his disk should I use my product key that is what I seem to undertand you mean. I'm sorry to be so stupid but I am upset and thought I had fixed the computer.
thank you
Joan.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
Go to Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y

If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Thanks to RonShaffer61 for the above instructions :thumbsup:

joanelaine

joanelaine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Thank you Ron,
That worked in the command prompt with the r switch. Now it's doing the checking. Would you also advise me about using the product key that came with my brothers disk, or should I use my own product key,?. I have a feeling I will need to reinstall all over again and thought I would try his disk this time but because he is so adamant about using his product key but I don't understand why, after all I'm using my product key with the disk the technician gave me ages ago which is a cut disk, I'm assuming it's a copy when he said it's a cut disk.
Thank you, Will come back when the scan is finished. But if you know what I should do about the product key I* would be grateful.
thank you,
Joan.

joanelaine

joanelaine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
That volume check is finished, and the report was that the volume is clean. I'm hoping that means my hard drive is not dying, do you think?. What to do now, I suppose I'll just wait and leave the computer on to see if it shuts down again and if it does should I try reinstalling again with my brother's disk? and which product key?. You did say if I copied the disk which I am inclined to do seeing as I have to return it, I may need it again in which case you said to use MY product key. Sorry to go on about this but don't want to get into trouble with Microsoft.
Many thanks for your patience with me.

Joan

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
My post #17

You can copy an OS disk but you must have and register your own product key as in you and your brother must not use the same product key, so you are aware Microsoft will detect this when you install updates.

You cannot use an Xp home product key with an Xp Pro disk and vice versa as you have not paid for the Xp pro licence, also once you have installed Xp pro you cannot revert back to Xp home without a full format, partition and reinstall.

joanelaine

joanelaine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I understand now, so I would have to use my brothers product key, then when I go to do the updates Microsoft will say something, is that right?. How would they know, wouldn't it be the same if he were do reinstall his operating system on his computer, how would they know it's my computer?. I'm starting to feel very illegal about this. I don't want to get into trouble. I was hopeful because the computer didn't turn off again until just now when I went to Microsoft updates and clicked on "custom", it shut down. Not sure if I should try the cut disk again or brothers disk, if it wasn't for that darn product key I would use his disk. I suppose if I burned a copy and in future had problems and had to reinstall I could just use the burned copy and HIS product key, am I correct?.
Joan

joanelaine

joanelaine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Back again, I was going to rest my eyes but can't seem tostay away when I have a problem. Because i was not getting any error messages just shutdowns I started to wonder if it could be RAM. I have a 1 gigabyte and a 512MB. I took them both out and reseated them both, nothing worked then. I gave the slots a bit of compressed air, waited and put both RAM sticks in. nothing worked, then I just tried each one individually, the 1 gig would not work at all then I too that out and put the 512 in and then it booted up, so far hasn't shut down and I am at the Windows update site downloading .NET Framework. I haven't been able to do that before.

I just had a look at the disk my brother sent to me and on the front it has Windows XP Home, not Pro as my brother told me, so if I need to use that then can I use my product key. I'm going to make a copy of it too so do I use a CD or DVD disk.
Many thanks for you patience'
Joan.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts

Back again, I was going to rest my eyes but can't seem tostay away when I have a problem. Because i was not getting any error messages just shutdowns I started to wonder if it could be RAM. I have a 1 gigabyte and a 512MB. I took them both out and reseated them both, nothing worked then. I gave the slots a bit of compressed air, waited and put both RAM sticks in. nothing worked, then I just tried each one individually, the 1 gig would not work at all then I too that out and put the 512 in and then it booted up, so far hasn't shut down and I am at the Windows update site downloading .NET Framework. I haven't been able to do that before.
Good troubleshooting :thumbsup:

I just had a look at the disk my brother sent to me and on the front it has Windows XP Home, not Pro as my brother told me, so if I need to use that then can I use my product key. I'm going to make a copy of it too so do I use a CD or DVD disk.
Many thanks for you patience'
Joan.
Yes you can do this and use your own product key.

When you register/activate Windows the user and MB details are registered on a MS database, when you attempt to install updates the details must correspond or you will be denied access to the updates until you resolve the issue with MS.

Advertisements

joanelaine

joanelaine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Thank you very much. I think I'm on the right track now, many thanks for clearing that up for me and answering my questions.
I am very grateful for all your help. The computer is still going, no more shut downs so I'm good to go.
I've made a copy of the disk for future use if needed.
Don't know what I would have done if I had not found this forum, it's been such a relief to be able to come here. I can't get over how helpful you all are, it really is wonderful the way you give your time to people like me.
No doubt I'll be back in the future.
Regards,
Joan.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
Thank you for the update, I am pleased you are up and running ok.
Thank you for choosing GTG and for allowing me to assist you :thumbsup:
You know where we are if you need us <_<

joanelaine

joanelaine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Thank you again, no doubt I will be back in the future. Hopefully not too soon if all goes well.
Regards,
Joan.