Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

cant enter security center and control panel

• Please log in to reply

phariu

phariu

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
please soneone help me.
i have 2 partions on my pc and i formatted c drive and installed windows xp service pack 2. and i installed all the drivers and restarted the pc. the pc was working fine. but when i changed the screen resolution i cant enter security center.but when i changed the resolution to the resolution that was before also still i cant enter the security center.and after a few restarts i cant enter the control panel. the control panel window appears and it stops responding. before when i can enter the control panel and click security center, i get the following error message
an exception occured while trying to run "Shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL wscui.cpl"
this happened when i changed the screen resolution. before the pc was ok.
so please someone help me.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;843551

phariu

phariu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
it didnt help me. it says to install th latest version of windows xp service pack. i installed the latest. so is there any other way that can solve this problem?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you get security centre if you click start then run, type wscui.cpl then press enter

phariu

phariu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
no. i cant

tx tbone

tx tbone

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Man, I have the exact same problem. I have tried about 20 different free reputible virus & malware scanners suggested by some great forums.
This is the only thread that I have found with this exact problem. Here's what I've done so far:
(I have a 3-week old Dell XPS Desktop)I am using ClamWin Free AntiVirus. I have a 250 Gig C drive (for OS and apps) and a 250 gig D drive (for all other files.)
Last week I tried to open The Wimdows Security Center because the Red Shield appeared in my task bar with a bubble telling me my computer is at risk. I knew this was wrong because when I set up my PC I configured the Security Center to "I have my own anti-virus software and will monitor it myself" (doing this avoids the above stated warning message". When I click the Task bar icon I get the following message (attached image)

I thought that I might have done something installing my software, so I re-installed windows XP and did all of the updates, and a few days later I have the same problem that won't go away.

I downloaded SpyBot Search and Destroy and it found a Trojan that alters the Registry called something like: Security Center Auto Downloader Override Trojan (I cannot remember the exact wording), But I quickly selecrted "Fix the problem" and since then I have not seen the same Trojan.

I haven't done a HJT Log yet, but I am assuming you'll want one so I'll get on that.

Attached Thumbnails

• RunDll_error.jpg

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Do any other .cpl files work on the machine? Try running appwiz.cpl from the command prompt as well. If that works then try the following.

Grab your Windows XP SP2 CD. Bring up the command prompt and type this

expand d:\i386\wscui.cp_ %windir%\system32\wscui.cpl

D: is signifying your CD-ROM. Change that to the proper letter is necessary.

If the appwiz.cpl doesnt work, then you have a corrupted rundll.exe file, which is the subsystem that runs all the .cpl extensions. If this is the case, run the System File Checker, or scansfc /scannow from the command prompt with the XP CD in the drive and that will resolve the issue.

tx tbone

tx tbone

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok I can run appwiz.cpl from the command prompt, but I ran this:

expand e:\i386\wscui.cp_ %windir%\system32\wscui.cpl
it looked like something happened (a black prompt window flashed), but nothing else.

Thanks for your quick response.

tx tbone

tx tbone

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have ran sfc /scannow in the command prompt, but the problem is still there.
Do you think that it is more probable that my pc has a virus instead of just a corrupted rundll.exe file?

tx tbone

tx tbone

• Pip
  • 5 posts
HiJackthis log:

Attached File  HiJackThis_log.txt   7.28KB   239 downloads

--
End of file - 7137 bytes

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Tx Tbone

Even though your issue may be the same the underlying issue may be different if you are still experiencing a issue please create a new thread.

tx tbone

tx tbone

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks, I solved the problem by re-installing Win XP.