Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win7 Antivirus 2012

• Please log in to reply

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
Thank you... How do I:
Uninstall
Java™ 6 Update 3 -obsolete Java versions are dangerous

?

Advertisements

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
Hi, after running that fix with OTL, the black screen and white cursor has returned. I tried running system restore many times at different points but it is still not working. Any ideas please??
Thanks

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
What should I do exactly if this black screen and white cursor continue to appear when I turn on the computer?
Any specific steps for this case?
Thanks

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
I don't see anything in the OTL script that would keep it from booting.

Beginning to think you have a problem with the hard drive trying to fail. Don't suppose you created the Windows 7 64-Bit (x64) Recovery Environment CD?

If you boot into the Safe Mode menu instead of doing a System ReStore can you click on Startup Repair? If that doesn't help then:

Command Prompt?

Type:

bootrec  /FixMbr
bootrec  /FixBoot
bootrec  /RebuildBcd

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
How would a problem like this start in the hard drive? How does something like this happen? This computer is about 6 months old....
I think it came with those CDs? Not sure...

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
You had a Zero Access rootkit infection. It infects the MBR which is read long before Windows boots.

How can your hard drive get sick? It's a moving part. Most of them last 3 - 5 years but its a Bell Curve. Some fail earlier and some later. It could be that it was happy as long as no changes were made to the MBR but when a change was made it had problems reading the change.

I've done about 100 of these Zero Access infections and normally they do not have the problems you have experienced - especially not after running MBAM or a simple OTL script. It's possible this is a brand new variation but there is no sign of that. It's also possible that you did something to it when you tried to fix it on your own. Third possibility and most likely is that the hard drive is having problems.

I think it came with those CDs?

What CDs are you talking about?

What make and model is this anyway?