Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Registry

• Please log in to reply

elvo1

elvo1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am trying to reinstall Quickbooks, however from an earlier version there is a Key and Value in the Registry under HKEY-Local Machine\software with the Key (Directory) name of Intuit which has a value of (ab)Default\REG_SZ\(Value not set). I have been advised by Quicken that until I delete this Key I cannot reinstall the program.

I have run the computer in Adimistrator Mode with full permissions and also in Diagistic mode and it still wont allow deletion of either part of the above. I have tried several Registry Cleaing Programs and all of these have failed to allow deletion of this Key.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Have you tried changing permissions further up the hierarchy of the Registry in case they are being inherited and passed down to the key you are working on?

See if this helps :

How To Reset Security Settings Back to the Defaults

Try this rather than the general case of reset use the command line:

/REGKEYS

elvo1

elvo1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Major Payne, Thanks for the suggestion and I have now tried this, however, it has not fixed the problem. What it has done is to restore Sub Keys into the Intuit Key. Some of these have values and some don't, however none of these are able to be deleted also. I have experimented with the permissions on all of these entries but again to no avail.

Another aspect is that there are 12 other Keys also that can't be deleted from the HKEY-LOCAL_MACHINE\Software area. These Keys relate to other software that I am running on the PC and KEYS and DATA in the same names are recorded in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software area.

Any further assistance that you or anyone else may have would be greatly appreciated.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
try this, a slightly more evolved regedit

http://www.resplendence.com/reglite

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Permission problem maybe???

How To Use the Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Registry Editor Features

has the following...

Assigning Permissions to a Registry Key

1. Click the key that you want to assign permissions.
2. On the Edit menu, click Permissions.
3. Click the group or user name that you want to work with.
4. Assign one of the following access levels to the key:
Select the Allow check box for Read to give permission to read the key contents, but not save any changes.
Select the Allow check box for Full Control to give permission to open, edit, and take ownership of the key.
5. To grant special permission in the key, click Advanced, and then double-click the user or group that you want to assign special access. Under Permissions, select the Allow or the Deny check box for each permission you want to allow or deny.

Ron