Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win7 computer will lock up.

• Please log in to reply

Reddoug

Reddoug

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Hi All

I am trying to help a friend out with his computer. It is a HP laptop model G72-259WM. The problem first starts with the keyboard. When typing in the password after several keystrokes the keyboard will lockup. I plugged in a usb keyboard and am able to login. The password is 12 charecters. Then I tried to type in notepad and after typing a line or two, the usb keyboard will lockup. I ran memtest86+ and memory fails. I install differnet menory to test and still has the same problem. I ran memorytest86+ again with different memory and no problems. I tried to boot to Bart's boot disk and gets BSOD. I was able to boot to Pupplinux. When typing a text document, it locked up again, took half a page. Touch pad locked up also and had to shutdown with power button. I know the memory is bad, trying to figure out if the motherboard is bad also. Not sure how to test that. The computer is only 1 1/2 years old. Since is locks up with Puppylinux I would not think it is a hard drive O/S issue. Any ideas?

Thanks, Doug

Advertisements

Faizan Ern Prince

Faizan Ern Prince

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
These instructions at ehow may be of some help:

http://www.ehow.com/...rd-problem.html

Good Luck

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Thanks, I will give it a try.

Doug

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
If you can F8 on boot after post screen and try a boot to Safe Mode.
That is Safe Mode only not with networking

If you can get in.
Open My Computer and run a chkdsk by right clicking the hard drive and then click properties, then tools then error checking, check now, click to check the second box and then go from there.

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Hi

That did the trick. Do not understand why uninstalling keyboard in Windows would have made any difference when running Puppylinux. That is what though me when the keyboards acted up running Linux. It is working okay right now. I still need to replace the memory. Still show errors when running memtest86+. I will have to try an remember this one.

Thanks, Doug

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks for posting.
What did please - the chkdsk or the earlier suggested solution in post 2.

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Hi

I have not run chkdsk. I will do that after I get new memory installed. I ran the computer for two hours with now problems.

Thanks, Doug

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Hi

Ran chkdsk and no problems found.

Doug

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thank you for the reply.
It was Faizan Em Prince who provided the solution.

Good luck with it.

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Hi

I installed new memory. Ran memtest86+ and did not have any problems. Computer has been running with no problems for four days.

Thanks, Doug

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks for posting

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Hi All

The computer is acting up again. Went into device manager and uninstalled keyboard again and back to working okay. Was fine three weeks. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks, Reddoug