Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 x64 USB

• Please log in to reply

AaronPwner

AaronPwner

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Starting tonight sometime while using the computer my keyboard and mouse both stopped. I assumed it was nothing and re-seated them. A while later they both did it again and I got a message that one malfunctioned. Since they weren't functioning I could not see any more details on it. This time they both would turn back on after i re-seated them, and proceed to shut right back off and windows would give the USB connection sound repeatedly. Is this a motherboard issue? Drivers? I haven't had any issues until now. The only thing I have changed that could have any effect is a game I started playing. I am completely lost at the moment, and they are working fine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Firstly, I apologise you have waited, sometime for a response.
This occasionally happens, due mainly to the vast number of posts on the site and on this occasion possibly also due to the run-up to the Christmas period with families.

Any way to deal with the issue in hand. Please post the make and model of the computer if branded ie: Dell Inspiron 1545 etc.

If they are working - all in order NOW and have been since the 19th it may be difficult to ascertain the cause until it happens again.

Please do this and see if we can gain any further information.

• Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application
    • System SELECT THIS ONE FIRST PLEASE with ERROR from the next choice.and send that
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error THIS ON THE FIRST RUN PLEASE
    • Information
    • Warning
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

Either:
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 3 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20)
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
  • Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type THE DATE when this occurred ie: 19 December
    In the To: boxes type today's date OR whatever date you last expeirenced it.
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
Please post the Output log in your next reply
as a copy and paste pls of the opened log.

AaronPwner

AaronPwner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
I understand the wait completely. The issue was resolved for a few days, but it has returned. I am currently not able to get to the computer. I will be able to get to it around 4:30PM CST.

*EDIT* The computer is an iBuypower. I have many new parts that I have installed, but it was never having the usb issue until recently.

Edited by AaronPwner, 29 December 2011 - 01:24 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Will wait to hear from you.

For your information I am in the UK. Time now in Uk is 2045hrs.

AaronL

AaronL

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Sorry for the delay I have the results below. I have uninstalled Akami Net Sessions on the 19th I believe for other reasons. I selected the 18th for the start because I believe I waited a day and tried to fix the issue myself, but to no avail. Thank you in advance for any help.

*EDIT* I believe the issue started after I uninstalled Akami, but I cannot be 100% certain. Sorry for the account swap this is now my mothers computer, and I use Facebook to sign in on mine.

Vino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows 2008 in English
Report run at 29/12/2011 3:52:25 PM

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'System' Log - Critical Type
'System' Log - Error Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 28/12/2011 11:17:19 PM
Type: Error Category: 0
Event: 4321 Source: NetBT
The name "AARONLONG-PC :20" could not be registered on the interface with IP address 192.168.2.2. The computer with the IP address 192.168.2.7 did not allow the name to be claimed by this computer.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 28/12/2011 11:17:19 PM
Event: 2505 Source: Server
The server could not bind to the transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{ECD0667B-0CEB-4411-B4AC-D857F578CD60} because another computer on the network has the same name. The server could not start.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 28/12/2011 11:17:02 PM
Event: 4321 Source: NetBT
The name "AARONLONG-PC :0" could not be registered on the interface with IP address 192.168.2.2. The computer with the IP address 192.168.2.7 did not allow the name to be claimed by this computer.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2011 1:12:39 PM
Event: 7032 Source: Service Control Manager
The Service Control Manager tried to take a corrective action (Restart the service) after the unexpected termination of the Akamai NetSession Interface service, but this action failed with the following error: An instance of the service is already running.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2011 1:12:38 PM
Event: 7031 Source: Service Control Manager
The Akamai NetSession Interface service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 1000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2011 12:11:35 PM
The Service Control Manager tried to take a corrective action (Restart the service) after the unexpected termination of the Akamai NetSession Interface service, but this action failed with the following error: An instance of the service is already running.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2011 12:11:34 PM
The Akamai NetSession Interface service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 1000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2011 11:10:33 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2011 11:10:32 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2011 10:09:38 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2011 10:09:37 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2011 9:08:43 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2011 9:08:42 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2011 8:07:47 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2011 8:07:46 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2011 7:06:53 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2011 7:06:52 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2011 6:05:58 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2011 6:05:57 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2011 5:05:03 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2011 5:05:02 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2011 4:04:12 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2011 4:04:10 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2011 3:03:12 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2011 3:03:11 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2011 2:02:11 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2011 2:02:10 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2011 1:01:17 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2011 1:01:16 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2011 12:25:57 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2011 12:25:56 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2011 12:24:48 AM
Event: 6008 Source: EventLog
The previous system shutdown at 6:23:51 PM on ?12/?18/?2011 was unexpected.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2011 12:15:23 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 19/12/2011 12:15:22 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 11:14:16 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 11:14:15 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 10:13:19 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 10:13:18 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 9:12:18 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 9:12:17 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 8:11:23 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 8:11:22 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 7:10:23 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 7:10:22 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 6:09:24 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 6:09:23 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 5:08:29 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 5:08:28 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 4:07:23 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 4:07:22 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 3:06:20 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 3:06:19 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 2:05:11 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 2:05:10 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 1:04:17 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 1:04:16 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 1:01:49 PM
Event: 6008 Source: EventLog
The previous system shutdown at 7:01:08 AM on ?12/?18/?2011 was unexpected.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 12:09:55 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 12:09:54 PM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 11:09:00 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 11:08:59 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 10:08:05 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 10:08:04 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 9:07:11 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 9:07:10 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 8:06:15 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 8:06:14 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 7:05:22 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 7:05:21 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 6:04:26 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 6:04:25 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 5:03:27 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 5:03:26 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 4:02:27 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 4:02:26 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 3:01:24 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 3:01:23 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 2:00:21 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 2:00:20 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 12:59:20 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 18/12/2011 12:59:19 AM

Edited by AaronL, 29 December 2011 - 04:00 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Run it again please this time on Application.
If there is NO mention of the USB ports drivers etc, do not bother posting it.

Go Control Panel, Administrative tools, event viewer and when that opens expand the left hand pane until you get to this and then click on hardware events

Then click once on the top left heading LEVEL of the main window and check the ERRORS and Warnings
See screenshot

[attachment=54915:Untitled.jpg]

AaronL

AaronL

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have run both, and VEW came back with nothing device related. My event viewer for Hardware Events is empty. The issue has not occurred today. Yet. At this point i'm clueless. Could it possibly be old chipset drivers in the motherboard?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please go Start, right click Computer then click properties, then on left pane device manager.
Any warnings please on any drivers especially USB and/or mice pointing devices and keyboard.
On the the view tab, click show hidden devices and check again please.

If there are post details please by opening device and post error code etc.

AaronL

AaronL

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
There are three mice and three keyboards listed. One in each list has a warning although they are both PS/2. Standard PS/2 Keyboard has a Code 24. Microsoft PS/2 Mouse has a Code 24 as well. It seems as though the rest of the USB drivers are fine. Just those two warnings.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
This is probably my mistake in reading your opening post incorrectly - presuming that the keyboard and mouse were connected usb.
Not that any harm has been done whatsoever.
Is the MOUSE and the KEYBOARD connected USB or PS2.
and I do not know iBuyPower is it a laptop or a desktop please (as I now realise that iBuyPower build computers -
This is their site please tell me which model
http://www.ibuypower...nal-series.aspx

Advertisements

AaronPwner

AaronPwner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
They are both USB which is why I didn't think the PS/2 warnings were bad when I looked. Sorry I didn't mention that. It is a desktop, but they haven't built the model in about seven years. The only parts that are still original are the motherboard and the CPU. It has an ASUS P5KPL-VM which I believe also is not in production anymore, and a Core 2 Quad Q6600 at 2.40Ghz.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go to Device manager again
Expand the USB entry, then on each usb root hub open that and click on the power tab and see if it recognises any connected usb keyboard or mouse.

On the entries with Code 24 uninstall that device by right clicking the entry and then clicking uninstall.

On the two entries without the code 24 - which if I have it correct are two for keyboard and two for the mouse IF BOTH entries for each read exactly the same, look at all the tabs, when you open the device by double clicking the entry - then uninstall one of each.

Reboot the computer and see what evice manager says now.

Post the make and model of course and the make and model of keyboard please.

AaronL

AaronL

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Oddly both of the Code 24 PS/2 entries were gone. I saw one entry on a root hub that had a mouse, and on another was a composite device. No keyboard unless the composite device was it. There is a printer plugged in so I believe that would be the composite yes? Only one of each of the mouse/keyboard entries has a power management tab as well.
I removed one of each Mouse/Keyboard, and upon reboot they were both back in the list. They keyboard is a generic HP NY416AA. The Mouse is a generic Xtreme Gear no model number that I can find. I believe they only make one. It came with the new computer I got. I don't remember if I mentioned it, but when the issue occurs you hear the normal Windows plug/unplug USB sound. Sometimes it happens 3+ times.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go start, programs, accessories, sytem tools, system information - in the left pane components, expand that entry, then expand input. Then select pointing device.
Copy and paste to the reply the information in the main window and please do the same for the keyboard

AaronL

AaronL

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Below is the info you wanted. She has put this mouse on it and it has not had the issue so far. The issue was happening with my Razer Lachesis when I was using the computer so I am confused.

Hardware Type HID-compliant mouse
Number of Buttons 0
Status OK
PNP Device ID HID\WMVIRTUALDEVICE\2&2B3E62A0&2&0000
Power Management Supported No
Double Click Threshold Not Available
Handedness Not Available
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\mouhid.sys (6.1.7600.16385, 30.50 KB (31,232 bytes), 7/13/2009 7:00 PM)

Hardware Type Microsoft Hardware USB Mouse
Number of Buttons 0
Status OK
PNP Device ID USB\VID_045E&PID_0053\5&340A0F05&0&1
Power Management Supported No
Double Click Threshold Not Available
Handedness Not Available
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\hidusb.sys (6.1.7601.17514, 29.50 KB (30,208 bytes), 4/15/2011 3:06 AM)

Description HID Keyboard Device
Name Enhanced (101- or 102-key)
Layout 00000409
PNP Device ID HID\WMVIRTUALDEVICE\2&25D493E&2&0000
Number of Function Keys 12
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\kbdhid.sys (6.1.7601.17514, 32.50 KB (33,280 bytes), 4/15/2011 3:06 AM)

Description USB Input Device
Name Enhanced (101- or 102-key)
Layout 00000409
PNP Device ID USB\VID_0566&PID_3107&MI_00\6&36A996FA&0&0000
Number of Function Keys 12
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\hidusb.sys (6.1.7601.17514, 29.50 KB (30,208 bytes), 4/15/2011 3:06 AM)