Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Questions on ISP speed and multi computers using same router.

• Please log in to reply

rkinsey1313

rkinsey1313

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Now I am not exactly sure if this is the right place for posting this. The questions I have are about using multiple computers on one modem and router and if this can affect your browsing/gaming speeds. I have run multiple malware removal programs and anti-virus programs and I am pretty sure that my computer is relatively clean. However, I still have speed issues. There are 3 Laptops and this desktop in my home using roadrunner cable internet and a TP-Link Router. I work 3rd shift and when I get home early in the morning, everyone is asleep. I seem to have no problems with the internet at those times. Everything seems to run pretty fast and flawlessly. When everyone is awake and on their computers it is a whole different story. The browsing speed slows down significantly and any gaming is pretty much impossible with the latency I get at those times. Is it possible that there are too many computers using the same internet connection? Or may it be the programs that are being run on the computers? Is there any way to check this? Is there any way to optimize the router settings so it will run better with multiple computers logged on? Thanks for looking and I would appreciate any insight or help available.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) If all computers are doing heavy downloading, the speeds of all computers will be affected. No two aways about it. The faster your internet speed, the less noticable this becomes, however it will still be apparent no matter how fast the speed is.

2) Be aware that at some unGodly hour in the morning most sane people are asleep. Therefore provider speeds will be faster because there's less people about. Same as a twenty minute journey on a Saturday morning takes three quarters of an hour on a weekday morning - more traffic about.