Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Legit Copy - XP Pro 64bit

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
When you installed XP, straight away did you install the drivers from the motherboard disc? If not do that now please.

Advertisements

NomDeKeyz

NomDeKeyz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
OK, truly stuck now (again)...
I have gotten most drivers working, but I can't get the last two...
I tried several searches which yielded no new/useful information.
I hope you geeks can point me to whatever I seem to be missing???

The various device/driver scanning utilities offered by Intel do not work on my OS
(because the required plugins are apparently not compatible with 64bit Windows XP),
but I'd be willing to try another if you geeks can point me to a trustworthy option?

In the thumbnail attached in post #13, under 'Other Devices' are the two items I have yet to locate drivers for:
PCI Simple Communications Controller
Details:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C3A&SUBSYS_844D1043&REV_04\3&11583659&0&B0
&
USB Device
Details:
USB\VID_0CF3&PID_3000\6&DF2EE03&0&7

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Go here:

http://www.asus.com/...V_PRO/#download

Choose WinXP 64bit and confirm you have installed all of the drivers please. Including Bluetooth. Let me know if that resolves the drivers so far.

Cheers

NomDeKeyz

NomDeKeyz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
It seems that I do have all the relevant drivers installed from this site/from my motherboard disc.

I am more concerned with compatibility than fast performance at the cost of what I desire to perform.

So, it seems that I need to revert to a 32bit version of XP regardless, as I am unable to use certain
other programs that I desire while on a 64bit version of XP or if I am on Windows7; shucks. :(

I am thinking about getting help to set up a dual operating system with XP32 and Win7-64... :rolleyes:

I thank you Troy for your driver direction and assistance, even if it did not mend my driver discrepancy.

Every suggestion I try guides me further towards learning, and I heartily appreciate that. Thankyou. :wub:

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Windows 7 x64 with XP Mode, even better again. :spoton:

NomDeKeyz

NomDeKeyz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
after MUCH further effort, I am coming to agree with you Troy...

I am so tired of trying to make this new computer work like my old one... :confused:
How silly is that? Shouldn't a new computer work better than an old one? LOL!

I think my issue is in my effort to make this zippy box run less than zippy stuff.
Apparently there are incompatibilities I never considered. Oblivion may not run on
this hardware, regardless what OS I end up using. If I'd known that before, I'd have
gotten a much cheaper computer. I may yet get a refurbished laptop with XP32...

It was a good learning experience, but I am ready for the next chapter. I really do
appreciate all the suggestions/advice/guidance/support you geeks have shared with me.
I am eternally grateful for the understanding I would not have without you and this site.

I am going to surrender my efforts with XP64, and will go with Windows7x64 with XP Mode,
as Troy and others have suggested. Farewell XP, beloved OS. We had some good times... :prop:

I will be ordering Windows7pro64; So I suppose this thread can be closed. Was it successful?
That depends on how you measure success. My initial question was answered, as I indeed
found a legit copy of XP64 and got it to work-ish. Is it what I ultimately want/need? Alas, No...
However, the learning this detour provided me was worth more than the expense of the detour.

Again, I Thank You Geeks. :rockon:

Edited by NomDeKeyz, 17 June 2012 - 01:58 AM.

NomDeKeyz

NomDeKeyz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Since this thread wasn't closed yet, I thought I'd update...
I did finally get Win7x64 installed, along with all the drivers,
avast!, MBAM, SAS, Firefox, and Silverlight; so far so good!
I have yet to get my video games installed/working and I still
have to choose a word processing program, but I think this is
going to be the best fit. Thanks for the friendly guidance! :yeah: