Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer turns off by itself

• Please log in to reply

Greg Hamilton

Greg Hamilton

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
After two or three hours of use, my Toshiba A665 shuts down, unexpectedly, just like when it runs out of battery, but happens when plugged into AC. It started doing this a few days ago. I tried going to a recent restore point, and
I've run Avast, spybot, and Mbam scans, and the come back clean.
I've run Microsoft "FixIt" and Toshiba troubleshooters, with no luck.
I don't get any warning pop-ups, or anything like that.
Your help is appreciated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome: Greg Hamilton
This is typical of an overheating issue, do you use the laptop on a firm and flat surface, can you hear the CPU fan operating normally?
Try removing the battery and running with only the AC adapter connected, does it shut down the same?

Greg Hamilton

Greg Hamilton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks phill,
i did some more research, here and other places, and decided it was like you say, an over heating problem. what threw me off, was it started suddenly, and this being only me second laptop, wass hoping i wouldnt have to take the [bleep] thing apart.
But, i searched "dis-assembly instructions...", and dove in this morning! not my first try at this, but i guess i make myself more nervous than i need to, cause i did it, cleaned the dirt and dust bunnies off of the heatsync, and viola! ol toshib works like new!
this really has been a good computer, and i'm glad its ok.
Thanks for your reply,
merry christmas!
Greg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Great to hear you are back up and running Greg, thank you for telling us how the issue was resolved as it may help others with the same or a similar issue in the future.
Enjoy the festive season and happy new year :thumbsup: