Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Internet Security 2012 Internet lost

• Please log in to reply

RonthisTW

RonthisTW

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone, recently I got the virus known as "XP Internet security 2012". I tried many things to get rid of it, and I eventually did. But as soon as I removed it my Internet stopped working. I've tried everything from renewing my ip adress, disabling by firewall, and a lot more things. All the other computers in the house are working just fine on the Internet. Something else I found strange is that whenever I try and repair my ip, it says there was the following problem: problem retreiving DNS. I've checked over and over, and my DNS was just fine. Can someone help?

If it males any difference, I am using Windows XP. My antivirus is Avast! Antivirus, my firewall is COMODO Firewall, and I also use Malware Bytes.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 20,025 posts
  • MVP
Start, Run, cmd, ok. Type with an Enter after each line:

net  start  dhcp

sc  query  afd

sc  query  tcpip

sc  query  netbt

The first one should say: The requested service has already been started.

The others should say some similar to:

SERVICE_NAME: afd
        TYPE               : 1  KERNEL_DRIVER
        STATE              : 4  RUNNING                                       <===This should say Running
                                (STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
        WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 0  (0x0)
        SERVICE_EXIT_CODE  : 0  (0x0)
        CHECKPOINT         : 0x0
        WAIT_HINT          : 0x0

Ron