Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 blue screen with error code 0x1000007e possibly related to n

• Please log in to reply

rn20

rn20

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

My Toshiba notebook is crashing on a fairly frequent basis with the blue screen. When I start up again in safe mode there appears to be no problems and virus scans I'm running with Kaspersky seem to suggest no issues exist.

When I start in safe mode windows supplies some possible information for the crash which I have attached to this email in 'crash information.txt' (this file also includes the information from previous crashes). It refers to the following files which it says may be useful:

C:\Windows\Minidump\122111-46581-01.dmp
C:\Users\rob\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-121758-0.sysdata.xml

I have attached the .dmp file from the minidump for this instance and several more .dmp files from previous instances of the crash. The 'WER-121758-0.sysdata.xml' file referred to in the temp directory does not seem to exist in this case, nor in most other cases although it was produced once when the computer crashed in one instance yesterday. I have included file WER-30279-0.sysdata in the attached zip file which also has all the .dmp files from the different crash instances.

I found a program called bluescreenview which allows me to read the .dmp files and see what windows believes the problem area is - in each case it picks up on SynTP.sys and ntkrnlpa.exe but beyond that I have no idea what's going on!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much
Rob

Attached Files

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
They all indicate SynTP.sys which is part of the driver for your Synaptics Touchpad. I would suggest downloading and installing the latest available from Toshiba.

rn20

rn20

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Much appreciate the reply ZTruker.

I thought I'd looked at this before on the Toshiba website and not found a more recent driver but looked again and found a more recent version which I've downloaded and installed. However when I restarted the computer windows failed to start. I let windows run the startup fix tool which offered me a system restore. Thinking the new driver may have caused the issue I clicked yes to the system restore but it never actually offered me a date and then came up with a message which said it couldn't fix the startup issue. Then rebooted and started up fine! New driver still seems to be installed so guess will see how it goes for the next few days. Hopefully all will be well!

Thanks
Rob

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I hope so too, but wonder what happened.

Any new mini-dumps?

rn20

rn20

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No new mini-dumps and still working ok so far. Fingers crossed then!

rn20

rn20

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Spoke to soon, just crashed twice in succession! New mini-dumps attached but think it points to an issue with the same driver again SynTP.sys. Any further ideas much appreciated.

Attached Files

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Yes, identical to the others.

I think it's time to test your RAM. Download Memtest86+ (you want the 2nd one Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)). Unzip it then create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do this easily.

DO NOT burn the .iso file directly to CD. It must be used as input to a program that knows what to do with it, like the one I mentioned above.

Boot the CD and run for at least 3 complete passes unless it shows errors sooner than that.

rn20

rn20

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ztruker, thanks for the reply, unfortunately the laptop doesn't have a cd drive so can't really carry out your instructions below - is there another easy way to test the RAM?

I did drop an email to Toshiba support some time ago and they came back to me saying that I should (disable the power management features and) uninstall the software for the synaptics touchpad which I have now done. Computer crashed for what appears to be a number of different reasons yesterday though, I've attached the 3 minidumps that show the detail for these crashes - are they anything to worry about?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You can boot it from a USB flash drive, see here: [Windows] HOWTO: Boot Memtest on USB Drive

Do you have your data backed up? If not you should do so as soon as possible.

What is the model number of the laptop? Does it have a recovery partition?

What does the users guide say about reinstalling the operating system? This may be your best means of fixing the problem.