Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshba laptop video card fried? Beep code...

• Please log in to reply

JodiP

JodiP

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Toshiba Satellite laptop, model X205-SLi5. NVidia 8600 something, something video card. Have had issues in the past with the card (I assume) that came in the form of blue screens. Very random and not often. The other day I opened the cover as I always keep the laptop on unless there is bad weather out, and the screen was black. I guess I thought it was off so I hit the power button. I got three beeps, first one soft and next two loud. I checked to make certain the memory was seated and both sticks are. I assume it is the video card. I read this card has a serious failure rate. I also read one can bake the card in the oven and make it like new again! Wouldn't the fumes be fatal? This was read on Toshiba's forum. Anyway, I plan to purchase another laptop though not quite as nice or expensive as this one. The card is integrated so seems like a motherboard would be the same as a good chunk of a new laptop.

My dead laptop has two serial HD's. Can I switch one out in the new laptop to recover what was not backed up the last two weeks? The new one would run windows 7 and the old one is Vista home premium. Thanks for any help or insight :) The Toshiba I am typing on now is about 12 years old, slower than (insert a word) and plays dead a lot but still keep it around for occasions like this. I think I'm over Toshiba now!

Edited by JodiP, 20 December 2011 - 08:44 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Can I switch one out in the new laptop to recover what was not backed up the last two weeks?

If your new laptop has 3 or more USB ports you could use a HDD enclosure such as http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817392032 to place the drive/s in and recover your data and then use it as an additional HDD, alternately you can use an external USB adapter like the example @ http://www.newertech...sb2_adaptv2.php this will allow you to utilise the 2 HDDs as additional storage space, shop around for less expensive options.

JodiP

JodiP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks for the reply. I have several back-up drives. One is a 500 BG that I just back-up music and videos to. Another smaller one is for data etc. and photos. I use two thumb drives as well. I typically have at least two back-ups of vital things but things have been quite busy here and it's been close to 2 weeks since I last backed anything up! I'm thinking the second option would be best for me. I could use it myself and also for other people who might have similar situations like I have. Seems like someone always has computer troubles :) Thanks again!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
You are most welcome and please let us know if we can assist you with anything further :thumbsup: