Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will not boot properly

• Please log in to reply

Fang'gar

Fang'gar

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
hi, today i've been having problems on my computer and it will not boot up normally. This started happening today. When i turn the power on, the HP logo appears on a blue screen (like normal) but then there are lots of vertical white lines grouped neatly on the screen (this has never happened before)
Posted Image

and when i try to boot it, there is just a black screen for a long time and sometimes the system recov appears but it takes SO long to finish so i just shut it down and went to safe mode and did quick scans with Malwarebytes, MS Security Essentials and SUPERAntiSpyware, but they all came up clean, except SUPER which came up with some Tracking cookies things..

can someone help me? im at the library atm! thanks!

Edited by Fang'gar, 21 December 2011 - 07:27 PM.

Advertisements

Fang'gar

Fang'gar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
i just did MBAM and SUPER full scans but they picked up nothing

also just did MSE full scan but nothing too

Edited by Fang'gar, 21 December 2011 - 11:01 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,775 posts
:welcome: Fang'gar, sorry you have waited for a reply longer than we would like.

You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it a laptop or desktop, provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable others to better assist you.

Fang'gar

Fang'gar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

:welcome: Fang'gar, sorry you have waited for a reply longer than we would like.

You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it a laptop or desktop, provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable others to better assist you.

ok thanks! thanks for replying!
it is a desktop
Product: HP Pavillion a1777c
Operating System: Windows Vista 32-bit

thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,775 posts
Hi Fang'gar
Your PC has an add on video card GeForce 7500LE + the MB has an integrated video chip, first in Safe Mode try updating the drivers for the add on video card available @ http://h10025.www1.h...356770&sw_lang= if this does not resolve the issue let us know and we can look at other options which include reseating the card and removing the card and using the MBs onboard video chip, links below to help.
PC http://h10025.www1.h...product=3356770
MB http://h10025.www1.h...cname=c00864946

Fang'gar

Fang'gar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
hi! um it didn't work, there were still lots of white lines and it was black for a long time again :blush: :blush: thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,775 posts
What didn`t work - updating the drivers?

Fang'gar

Fang'gar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
the update worked--i finished the update and it told me to click YES when i'm ready to restart the computer so I clicked yes but then it was still the same (white lines and such) :blush:

Edited by Fang'gar, 29 December 2011 - 03:53 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,775 posts
Ok then try reseating the card and cleaning out the slots, see below;

If the computer needs cleaning out, first remove the power cord from the wall and open up the case, take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case, remove the video card, blow out the slot and re-seat the card securely, do the same with the memory sticks, clean all internal fans, if you use canned compressed air do not let any fan spin freely this can damage them, use something like a clean lollipop stick to hold the fan.

Make sure If all internal connections are secure and that there are no loose components, write down the psu details (make and model) re-assemble the computer, boot up and see how it goes.

Just a cautionary note, if you do use canned compressed air do not upend the can as it is possible for fluid to be emitted.

Fang'gar

Fang'gar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Ok then try reseating the card and cleaning out the slots, see below;

If the computer needs cleaning out, first remove the power cord from the wall and open up the case, take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case, remove the video card, blow out the slot and re-seat the card securely, do the same with the memory sticks, clean all internal fans, if you use canned compressed air do not let any fan spin freely this can damage them, use something like a clean lollipop stick to hold the fan.

Make sure If all internal connections are secure and that there are no loose components, write down the psu details (make and model) re-assemble the computer, boot up and see how it goes.

Just a cautionary note, if you do use canned compressed air do not upend the can as it is possible for fluid to be emitted.

ok, um i don't really know anything about computers so should i do sorta what this person is doing? thanks

Edited by Fang'gar, 29 December 2011 - 04:24 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,775 posts
That is the general idea but you wouldn`t blow the dust into the case.
If you don`t have a can of compressed air available for now just try removing and reseating the video card, just be sure you follow the safety and anti static precautions that I have posted earlier.

Fang'gar

Fang'gar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
oh thank you i will try this and will post reply maybe in some hours :blush: thank you

so i just touch the case and it will be fine to take out and everything?

Edited by Fang'gar, 29 December 2011 - 04:44 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,775 posts
Ok Fang'gar but before you go can you do the following first please;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;
Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload...
then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions courtesy of happyrock :thumbsup:

And the same with HWMonitor http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Just noticed your edit, yes touch a bare metal part of the case but please only remove and reseat the video card and nothing else.

Edited by phillpower2, 29 December 2011 - 04:52 PM.
Responded to OPs edit,

Fang'gar

Fang'gar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
ok, um when i run as admin i get
"Error <SPEEDFAN Driver Not Installed> Is SPEEDFAN service started?"

eta: im on safemode since the normal isn't working

Edited by Fang'gar, 29 December 2011 - 04:59 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,775 posts
Ok then try HWMonitor, if no joy proceed with removing and reseating the video card.