Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

**Help, USB Infrared Adapter won’t install**

• Please log in to reply

supercow55

supercow55

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hello,
I have just purchased a Coolgear 'U2IrDA Mini' USB-Infrared Adapter in order to be able to connect my Sony Ericsson Cell phone to my computer and transfer files. As i purchased the dongle from a private buyer it did not come with any drivers, however i went to the manufacturer of the chip (STIR4200) inside the dongle - Sigmatel Electronics, www.sigmatel.com and downloaded the lastest driver, Version 1.32.

I then proceeded as per the instructions on the website, i unzipped the files and ran the setup program which installed files into the C:Windows directory. When this setup program had finished it instructed me to then insert the dongle into the USB port and the operating system should finish the installation.

I then inserted the dongle and windows recognised a 'USB Serial Controller' and asked me to either search for drivers automatically or specify a location. I have tried both ways because apparently windows is supposed to have a version of the driver but this did not work. Windows just keeps saying 'The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software'. Even though I specify the exact folder and tell it not to look anywhere else it just continually does this and the device unusable without drivers.
I then tried to specify a location of the driver from the files that i downloaded from the sigmatel website but it could not find any information about the drive. I have tried other older versions of the driver but it will not recognise the drivers and it just sits in the device manager with a yellow question mark because it has no drivers installed for it.
I have also tried to install the dongle on another computer running Windows XP Pro and it does the same thing. I then tried to on a computer running Windows 98 and Windows ME using the suitable drivers for each operating system and it also would not install properly
A person who i spoke to who works in a computer shop and also has an USB IR adapter to transfer things to and from their phone said the phone's software must be installed for the dongle to be recognised. I had already done this but i went back and unistalled and did a fresh install of the phone software to make sure there are no problems there.
Can anyone please help me with this problem? I have been searching for some suitable drivers but have been unable to find any and i have had no reply from sigmatel either. I am also running Windows XP Professional with SP2 if that helps at all. Any help is much appreciated, Cheers Benny

Advertisements

supercow55

supercow55

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
bump

supercow55

supercow55

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hello,

The problem has been solved, the USB IrDA dongle has finally installed. I was recommended to try the drivers from http://ds2.my-mam.co...MA620driver.zip and they worked. Cheers Benny