Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malwarebytes will not install to remove XP malware

• Please log in to reply

mothernature100

mothernature100

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My computer has been infected with XP Antispyware 2012 since yesterday morning. OS is Windows XP Professional. Updated definitions from Superantispyware and ran a scan. It located the malware, quarantined it, but could not remove it. Contacted them and their suggestion was to go to Safe Mode and attempt to open and scan the program there. That did not work, as I was unable to bring up the Safe Mode. Clicked rapidly on the F8 key between bios and windows screen, then tried holding the F8 key down and that didn't work.
I wrote down and followed instructions from Metallica to install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Loaded it from "here". Found it in "my downloads", made a shortcut to my desktop and renamed mbam-setup.exe to mbam-setup.com. But when I double clicked on it, a window came up showing mbam-setup.com.exe. Tried renaming it several times, but can't get rid of the .exe behind the .com. When I click on "run as" owner, it denies me access.
Not only are the constant windows popping up from the malware driving me batty, but it has disabled my printer, Olympus software and other programs and games.
Any help you can afford me would be most gratefully appreciated.

Advertisements